TUF GAMING X570-PLUS - RAID 0 Question

Voy

I have TUF GAMING X570-PLUS motherboard and I have RAID 0 setup with 4 SSD's.

I wanted to take one of the SSD's out of the RAID 0 and leave just 3 but I can't find that option anywhere?

I do not want to destroy the RAID completely as I don't want to loose data from it.

Is there a way to transform RAID from 4 to 3 drives? 

I'm not sure if you can do that with RAID 0 if you've done it via your motherboard's BIOS.
You may be able to do this however with 'Storage Spaces' in Windows 10/11 via Partiy - I think it's called?

I could be very wrong here and someone else can advise.

Though surely with RAID 0, data is written across all drives... You remove one, you're going to lose that data?

Just now, Marhier said:

I'm not sure if you can do that with RAID 0 if you've done it via your motherboard's BIOS.
You may be able to do this however with Storage Space in Windows via Partiy - I think it's called.

I could be very wrong here.

Though surely with RAID 0, data is written across all your drives... You remove one, you're going to lose that data?

Yeah, that is how RAID 0 works....

I hoped there is some option to move data from one of the SSD's to other 3 and remove that one.

As far as I know you cannot change the structure of a RAID0 Array without destroying and re-creating the array. There is no facility to 'move the data' around on the Array once it is established.

Also be aware that with an X570 Motherboard, you can no longer 'TRIM' your SSD Drives if they are configured as RAID or if they are set up as a Windows Striped Storage-Space, meaning the performance of the Drives will slowly degrade entirely. I'm afriad I learnt, (much to my annoyance) SSD RAID arrays on X570 is not a very good idea. 😞 

I would be grateful to anyone to tell me I'm wrong or if this has been addressed by AMD since I last checked.

2 minutes ago, D1D01 said:

As far as I know you cannot change the structure of a RAID0 Array without destroying and re-creating the array. There is no facility to 'move the data' around on the Array once it is established.

Also be aware that with an X570 Motherboard, you can no longer 'TRIM' your SSD Drives if they are configured as RAID or if they are set up as a Windows Striped Storage-Space, meaning the performance of the Drives will slowly degrade entirely. I'm afriad I learnt, (much to my annoyance) SSD RAID arrays on X570 is not a very good idea. 😞 

I would be grateful to anyone to tell me I'm wrong or if this has been addressed by AMD since I last checked.

Hmm you can't TRIM? 

I did not know that, can someone confirm? 

If you are right.... then damn it! RAID is only for gaming so I can redownload all games but 7TB RAID, more or less 50% used... will take me crap tone one time to redownload everything and I will lose speed of it as well..... 

You have to break the array and start over. You can still back up your data but you can’t reconvert an array on the fly like you want to. As for trim, iirc the chipset is supposed to pass on the command, could be wrong there. Trim worked with raid 0 on my 545S array on Z77, but not X58. I haven’t tried on B550 because I moved on to nvme drives. And they are fast as eff.. so I haven’t looked back.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

13 minutes ago, freeagent said:

You have to break the array and start over. You can still back up your data but you can’t reconvert an array on the fly like you want to. As for trim, iirc the chipset is supposed to pass on the command, could be wrong there. Trim worked with raid 0 on my 545S array on Z77, but not X58. I haven’t tried on B550 because I moved on to nvme drives. And they are fast as eff.. so I haven’t looked back.

When I was confronted with the issue, my research showed that TRIM is sopprted for SSD RAID on just about every modern chipset except X570!

2 minutes ago, D1D01 said:

When I was confronted with the issue, my research showed that TRIM is sopprted for SSD RAID on just about every modern chipset except X570!

Not going to lie.. but that sucks! 

😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X