Need Clarification: As i have an Nvidia GPU do I NEED to get a Gsync monitor?

Tomsta
Go to solution Solved by Pixelfie,

You can use both Freesync and G-Sync monitors on Nvidia with full support.

You can use both Freesync and G-sync monitors on AMD, but there's no adaptive sync for G-sync monitors.

So i haven't needed to look into monitors for over a decade (as i've been using a TV as a monitor for space saving reasons), however i am now able to separate my TV from my PC, meaning i now need to look at monitors, the first thing that confused me was FreeSync vs GSync. Some places are stating that you can use either regardless of GPU others are saying you have to match up (Like Nvidia GPU you need a GSync monitor)

Can someone clear this up for me

The key is to look for "GSync compatible". It doesn't need to be GSync specifically. Just compatible with GSync. 

If the product page doesn't say (or sometimes even if it does), give the model a google and you should find some people discussing their experiences with the monitor. 

Here's an official list of monitors Nvidia has tested: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

You can use both Freesync and G-sync monitors on AMD, but there's no adaptive sync for G-sync monitors.

Just now, Pixelfie said:

Simple and to the point, i like that