Anything special needing to be done upgrading CPUs on Windows 10?

Go to solution Solved by Shiv78,

Make sure your BIOS version supports the 7700.

16 minutes ago, GuyWhoGamedOnAn2011Laptop said:

I only have one concern.聽 Is there anything that needs done before I start taking things apart?聽 Everything I've seen only deals with both the CPU and mobo.聽 I don't want to do something that'd I regret as the drives in my computer are my only ones and hold a lot of irreplaceable stuff.

Also, keeping *irreplaceable* data on a single local drive is asking for heartbreak in the future.

So finally, over three years after first building it, I've at last managed to purchase a new CPU for my PC.聽 I'm giddy with excitement at finally being able to leave my current pos CPU behind and experience the joys of 4C8T gaming (be quiet you AMD boys with your fancy 8C16T CPUs 馃槢.)聽 My glorious choice?聽 An I7-7700 lol But hey, it's the best possible CPU I can get for my motherboard, save for the K variant (which is funny since my mobo doesn't support OC lol) and according to userbenchmark, it will be nearly a 1/3 faster than my current G4560T (admittedly, she's done better than could be expected, running games Can I Run It claims I can't at pretty good graphics and FR.)

I only have one concern.聽 Is there anything that needs done before I start taking things apart?聽 Everything I've seen only deals with both the CPU and mobo.聽 I don't want to do something that'd I regret as the drives in my computer are my only ones and hold a lot of irreplaceable stuff.

16 minutes ago, GuyWhoGamedOnAn2011Laptop said:

Also, keeping *irreplaceable* data on a single local drive is asking for heartbreak in the future.

----->Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey<-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION[lol]

GAMING RIG聽"SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k聽| COOLING聽Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White)| MOTHERBOARD聽Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4聽|聽GPU聽Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White)聽|聽RAM聽16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White) |聽SSD聽Samsung 980 Pro 1TB聽|聽PSU聽ASUS STRIX 850W (White) |聽CASE聽Phanteks G360a (White)聽| HEADPHONESBeyerdynamic DT990 Pro聽| KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps)聽| MOUSECooler Master MM711 (White)聽|聽MONITOR聽HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG聽"OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB)聽|HEADPHONESAirPods Pro 2聽| KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini聽| MOUSELogitech MX Master 3S聽|聽MONITOR聽2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG聽"ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz聽| COOLING聽Cryorig M9i (review)聽| MOTHERBOARD聽ASUS Z87-PRO |聽GPU聽Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC聽|聽RAM聽16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHz |聽SSD聽Samsung 860 Evo 512GB |HDD聽Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM |聽PSU聽EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W |聽CASE聽NZXT H230 | HEADPHONESSony WH-1000XM3聽聽| KEYBOARD聽Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown聽| MOUSELogitech聽G602聽|聽MONITOR聽LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo]聽| PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch聽[Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3聽pairs of Jaybirds]

Swapping out the cpu should be no problem. If you have an oem Windows license you may run into trouble. So worst case you need a new license. But I believe that is more likely to happen if you swap out the motherboard as well.

7 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

I'd like to get a second drive for them but I've hit the max number of drives I can stuff in my case.聽 It technically has space for more (slots, PSU/mobo connects) but I physically can't route the cables and still get the side panels on.聽 Could barely get the three drives I do got in it in.聽 Honestly, there's a lot I regret with this build (too small a case, going with Intel instead of AMD, etc) but hey it was my first and honestly, building another is not something that is viable right now (got the fish but no chips lol).聽 Thanks for your answer though.聽 The 4560T and 7700 are both KabyLake so I believe I should be ok.