Best wifi antenna/booster/combo options for sharing wifi in apartment complex

kyliechan

So soon hopefully 🤞 I'll be moving into the same apartment complex as my gf. We both have a very small budget so we want to share her wifi to bring both our bills down. I know wifi signal in apartments can be rough but are there any decent options for getting signal from an apartment say 4 or 5 down the hall also no an outdoor mounted solution isn't possible sadly I know that would be easiest

27 minutes ago, kyliechan said:

So soon hopefully 🤞 I'll be moving into the same apartment complex as my gf. We both have a very small budget so we want to share her wifi to bring both our bills down. I know wifi signal in apartments can be rough but are there any decent options for getting signal from an apartment say 4 or 5 down the hall also no an outdoor mounted solution isn't possible sadly I know that would be easiest

Probably not, as if its a half-decent setup they will already be hammering the WiFi spectrum with multiple Access Points to have none-overlapping channel coverage.  Even with a clear channel, you'd probably end up with a weak or no signal going through so many walls/ceilings.

Its probably also against the usage agreement.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Maybe if you shared a wall, but given the noisy environment there is no way you're gonna be able to chain that.
If you were willing to risk it you might be able to just run a 50m cat 6a patch cable and gaffer tape it to the base board, but eventually someone is gonna notice and raise hell. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Why not just move into the same apartment? Surely that is the actual sane solution here...

On 3/9/2022 at 9:49 PM, GuiltySpark_ said:

Why not just move into the same apartment? Surely that is the actual sane solution here...

if that was an option we would do it but its not