weird capacitor value identification

fanman1980

on the face of the capacitor ( a ceramic disc capacitor) it is labled 330 10% 244. i can send a picture if needed 

Since my brain turned to sludge I have started to rely on these:

image.png.2678cc36b87fbeb144906bb9af5eef80.png

330 should be 33pf.   But definitely worth sending a pic because the 244 on the end is new to me.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Since my brain turned to sludge I have started to rely on these:

330 should be 33pf.   But definitely worth sending a pic because the 244 on the end is new to me.

It might be... Some other just use the value in pF. Nonetheless, a photo really would help. And the information, in what type of device and where in it, it is, also.

21 hours ago, mr moose said:

Don't you mean 330 should be 330pf, NOT 33pf.

Admittedly there was some odd numbering by some where there were always 3 digits so in that case the third digit would be "0" if not used = 33pf, except logically it would should be 033 = 33pf.

"Since my brain turned to sludge... " or maybe it was just a typo?

Yes, a good chart to have.

28 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Don't you mean 330 should be 330pf, NOT 33pf.

Admittedly there was some odd numbering by some where there were always 3 digits so in that case the third digit would be "0" if not used = 33pf, except logically it would should be 033 = 33pf.

Because the last digit in the code is usually the number of zeros i.e 330 is 33 and 0 zero's making it 33pF  while 331 is 33 with 1 zero making it 330pF.  It works similar to resistance but is manufacturer dependent (some print the value and some print the code).  

28 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

"Since my brain turned to sludge... " or maybe it was just a typo?

Yes, a good chart to have.

I don't know about others,  but when I have a lot on my mind or I am trying to do number stuff with a tired and stressed out b rain it turns to sludge.  It's just gets really easy to brain fart so i have found that cheat sheets save me time and money.   Also my eyes are going so I mostly use my DMM to measure each component before using it.  That saves a lot of "why doesn't this $%@&% thing work" type moments when the red band looks like a brown one.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

45 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Because the last digit in the code is usually the number of zeros i.e 330 is 33 and 0 zero's making it 33pF  while 331 is 33 with 1 zero making it 330pF.  It works similar to resistance but is manufacturer dependent (some print the value and some print the code).  

Exactly and I should have expanded on it - thanks Mr Moose.

45 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Also my eyes are going so I mostly use my DMM to measure each component before using it.  That saves a lot of "why doesn't this $%@&% thing work" type moments when the red band looks like a brown one.

One DMM in the workshop, one in the caravan, one beside the computer in case there flat batteries to measure. I do have my mother's multi-meter but obviously, 30+ years ago, it was analog. An Avo 9 is useful in the workshop as a current meter. For capacitors, buy a digital capacity meter and it will have a better set of ranges than a DMM with a capacity range.

There is one thing not noted, a hammer. Use it? No, just threaten things with it is usually enough.

1 hour ago, RollyShed said:

Exactly and I should have expanded on it - thanks Mr Moose.

One DMM in the workshop, one in the caravan, one beside the computer in case there flat batteries to measure. I do have my mother's multi-meter but obviously, 30+ years ago, it was analog.

My first experience with MM's was analog. By the time I could afford one though I could get a digital for the same price.  I was actually sad the analog options weren't better because it's all I wanted for such a long time.

An Avo 9 is useful in the workshop as a current meter. For capacitors, buy a digital capacity meter and it will have a better set of ranges than a DMM with a capacity range.

For checking you have the right capacitance my DMM is fine.  I don't expect it to be highly accurate, but just accurate enough to know I haven't ballsed up the multiplier and putting in 1uF instead of a 100nF.

There is one thing not noted, a hammer. Use it? No, just threaten things with it is usually enough.

If I take the above precautions I rarely have to threaten anything with a hammer,  sometimes I'll wave the iron at it in a menacing way. 

We were asking for the photo, because old capacitors usually just had their rating in pF printed on them, so it is a 330pF cap, and newer ones mostly use the 3-digit system. It actually depends on the type of capacitor.

I know the "brain to sludge" problem quite well. Because of this i try to make some systems idiot-prove, because i know, i might be that idiot when i am really tired or overworked.