Low MSI GTX 780 Performance

Go to solution Solved by exotioner,

That sucks, I just spent 450 quid on the card, and now I'll have to fork out whatever else for a new CPU, RAM and most likely a new Mobo too. Ahh well.

No, shadowplay was definitely not on, and my HDD isn't that slow.

To be honest, at this point, you might as well settle for a whole new system xD

Sorry to tell ya, if you had told us this before you ordered, maybe we could've helped out :/

So, a few days ago I ordered the MSI GTX 780 OC 3GB Gaming card, this one, and it arrived today. I installed it and updated the drivers, the usual stuff, and then I loaded up some games to test it out.

The problem that I am having is that I'm really not getting the performance out of the card that I was expecting. I went from a 1GB Gigabyte GTX 460 to this card, but the FPS in most games isn't really significantly higher. I have turned the graphics up in some of these games, but for example, in GTA IV, not even completely maxed out, its going as low as 30fps. There were a few other games that I tested. In DayZ standalone, I get between 25-40 in a small town, not even the city, and the FPS is less than 30 looking up to the hills from the coast. Another I tested out was SAMP, and in areas that I usually get 30-40 FPS with the GTX460, I was only getting 50 FPS with the GTX780.

I'm not entirely sure what is causing this problem, I think it may be the motherboard, it's not a great one, more of the budgeted kind that I put into my computer initially, but other topics are suggesting it may be my CPU.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Also, I ran the Unigine Valley Benchmark, and these are the results, and from looking at some scores here, I should be getting somewhere between 65-90FPS. Instead, Im getting the speeds of a GTX670 or HD 7970 from my GTX780.

The test was run on the Extreme HD setting.

Here is a screenshot of GPU-Z.

My PC Specs

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition @ 3.0GHz

MSI GTX 780 Gaming 3GB OC

ASUS M5A78L-M LX

4 GB Corsair Vengence RAM @1600MHz

Corsair 700GS PSU

So, a few days ago I ordered the MSI GTX 780 OC 3GB Gaming card, this one, and it arrived today. I installed it and updated the drivers, the usual stuff, and then I loaded up some games to test it out.

The problem that I am having is that I'm really not getting the performance out of the card that I was expecting. I went from a 1GB Gigabyte GTX 460 to this card, but the FPS in most games isn't really significantly higher. I have turned the graphics up in some of these games, but for example, in GTA IV, not even completely maxed out, its going as low as 30fps. There were a few other games that I tested. In DayZ standalone, I get between 25-40 in a small town, not even the city, and the FPS is less than 30 looking up to the hills from the coast. Another I tested out was SAMP, and in areas that I usually get 30-40 FPS with the GTX460, I was only getting 50 FPS with the GTX780.

I'm not entirely sure what is causing this problem, I think it may be the motherboard, it's not a great one, more of the budgeted kind that I put into my computer initially, but other topics are suggesting it may be my CPU.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Also, I ran the Unigine Valley Benchmark, and these are the results, and from looking at some scores here, I should be getting somewhere between 65-90FPS. Instead, Im getting the speeds of a GTX670 or HD 7970 from my GTX780.

The test was run on the Extreme HD setting.

My PC Specs

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition @ 3.0GHz

MSI GTX 780 Gaming 3GB OC

ASUS M5A78L-M LX

4 GB Corsair Vengence RAM @1600MHz

Corsair 700GS PSU

Your RAM and CPU are quite a bottleneck there...

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

I had this problem with my Asus Direct CU II 780.
Did you turn on shadowplay by any chance, and if you did, do you have it connected to a(n) old/slow harddrive ? That seems to be why my 780 goes completely ape shet

Derp I forgot to check his specs x.x

Well, 

^^^^^^^^^^ This guy seems to have checked your stoof out a little more than I did, but I agree with him. there's a bottleneck.

That sucks, I just spent 450 quid on the card, and now I'll have to fork out whatever else for a new CPU, RAM and most likely a new Mobo too. Ahh well.

I had this problem with my Asus Direct CU II 780.

Did you turn on shadowplay by any chance, and if you did, do you have it connected to a(n) old/slow harddrive ? That seems to be why my 780 goes completely ape shet

Sorry to tell ya, if you had told us this before you ordered, maybe we could've helped out :/

Welcome to PC gaming :)

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yeah, I guess I'll just have to stick it out until I get some more money together.

Welcome to PC gaming :)

Yea, but, it's worth the cost.

Yeah, I guess I'll just have to stick it out until I get some more money together.

Yea, but, it's worth the cost.

It is worth it.

When I switched from my old GTX 560 non-ti and an i5 2320 to my 4670k (4.5Ghz) and my Asus 780..

Basically ALL games became new to me. Everything is so smooth, so colourful, AND EVERYTHING GOT EFFECTS TOO :D

Either way, good luck with your money saving / building ! :D