Looking for retro hand held gaming

Logun
Go to solution Solved by rikitikitavi,

Or an Android phone/tablet with a gamepad attached (there are a few clip-on gamepads).

As a purposefully built devices, handhelds in the videos above would probably be a better choice for user-friendliness/durability/performance/price.

As a more versatile choice for internet/youtube/entertainment/etc - an Amazon Tablet w/ a gamepad (ETA Prime has video reviews/recommendations for such setups)

Hitting the road for a vacation and looking for recommendations of hand held consoles for some retro gaming for my son. I see tons of emulation machines but no idea what’s good and what a ripoff. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Logun said:

Hitting the road for a vacation and looking for recommendations of hand held consoles for some retro gaming for my son. I see tons of emulation machines but no idea what’s good and what a ripoff. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

When I think of running weird stuff I think PC.  There are a couple of hand held PCs out there. The steamdeck is heavily reviewed and welll likes but very hard to get.  It’s got competitors though.  I’m not a big retro gamer though.  There may be better responses.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Or an Android phone/tablet with a gamepad attached (there are a few clip-on gamepads).

As a purposefully built devices, handhelds in the videos above would probably be a better choice for user-friendliness/durability/performance/price.

As a more versatile choice for internet/youtube/entertainment/etc - an Amazon Tablet w/ a gamepad (ETA Prime has video reviews/recommendations for such setups)

12 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

Do you have any of these? I have thought of getting one of these Retro hand held gaming platforms, but...

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Do you have any of these? I have thought of getting one of these Retro hand held gaming platforms, but...

Nope, but I'm always interested when something comes out. I do have a 2DS XL with emulators, but I would never suggest it (unless you already have it).