Any thermal pads recommendations?

mickel4190

So basically, the memory in my GPU is reaching 100+ degrees so probably a good idea to switch out the thermal pads in it. But I don't really know any, since I didn't really think that much about it until now. You guys got any recommendations?

Most graphics cards use thermal paste for the GPU itself. The thermal pads are for other components, like the memory and VRMs.

EDIT: Don't know if I missed the word "memory" in the OP or if it was edited, but thermal pads are sold at a specific thickness.

What exact model do you have? That determines how thick the pads need to be.

Edited by YoungBlade

Thermalright is the company I use for my thermal pads when I need to do replacements. I also use there pastes as well. But for pads, they are my go-to. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

17 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Most graphics cards use thermal paste for the GPU itself. The thermal pads are for other components, like the memory and VRMs.

EDIT: Don't know if I missed the word "memory" in the OP or if it was edited, but thermal pads are sold at a specific thickness.

What exact model do you have? That determines how thick the pads need to be.

The one I have is Gainward RTX 2080 Phoenix. I've contacted the manufacturer and I'm just awaiting answers now about the pad heights. I'm really just asking for recommendations in case I somehow end up with not-so-good (aka pretty bad) thermal pads (but to be fair, most people would ask for recommendations so that wouldn't happen to them either)

@mickel4190

https://kriticalpads.com/

Are top of the line (courtesy of many thousands of posts of discussion on overclock forum).They are very soft and cut in sizes others aren't usually to acommadate new gpus. The new Alphacool ultrasoft are very promising slightly cheaper alternative, but quite new so bit of a risk.

And then Thermal putty is as good alternative option (but only TG-PP10 from digikey, or wherever else u can find it). The reason Putty is so good, is you correct size doesn't matter, just get into the ballpark of what your GPU needs and you're golden. (just keep in the fridge so it lasts longer, like paste, or any other TIM).

Thermalright's @Skiiwee29 are ok too, but not as good as the above options. Kritical are just godly (but pricey), and that TG-PP10 Putty is just godly(and cheap).

6 hours ago, Dogzilla07 said:

@mickel4190

https://kriticalpads.com/

Are top of the line (courtesy of many thousands of posts of discussion on overclock forum).They are very soft and cut in sizes others aren't usually to acommadate new gpus.

@Dogzilla07You said they were very soft, right? I just got answers from the manufacturer about the thermal pads height. The height on it is 1.75 mm for the VRAM. Do you think it's soft enough to get to that height if I applied enough force to it (if I used the 2 mm one)?

@mickel4190 Absolutely, your use case is the most discussed on another forum. The 2mm kritical are actually slightly thinner more towards 1.8-1.85mm (on top of being extremely soft) And people have the greatest success using the 2mm kritical pads for 1000 and 2000 series Nvidia cards with 1.75mm height like yours. Someone mentioned just a few days ago those are the ones that worked best for them for a Gainward 1070.

I just used the gelid gp-ultimate 15w pads on my wife's 5700xt. It dropped memory temps a bit. Not super expensive, soft and easy to apply. I liked em.