New budget NAS build

Budget (including currency): £100-£300

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: NAS Drive, Plex Server, NextCloud Backup Server, Hosting Dockers and Possibly VM's

Hi All,

I am thinking of building a NAS. I already have 10TB SAS harddrive on order, they are excluding the current budget.

I am leaning towards a

Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5 CPU for its low TDP and good availability second hand on eBay.

Supermicro X11SSM-F motherboard.

I havent decided on a case yet.

Any improvements or suggestions?

Look into used workstation towers, especially if you only plan on running a couple drives. You might find a whole machine (with RAM included) cheaper than just your motherboard will cost. I think something like a Dell Precision 5810 or HP z440 would suit your needs.

Don't get too hung up on a low TDP Xeon L CPU. They sound power efficient, but all CPUs of a given generation and class have roughly the same idle power consumption. Since the Ls are slower, they have to work longer to do the same job a 'hungrier' CPU would get done in a short burst.

An LGA2011-3 platform will open up the the E5-1600 and E5-2600 v3 and v4 (Haswell/Broadwell) CPUs, which can get you more cores and a higher RAM ceiling than the E3-1200s.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, Needfuldoer said:

Look into used workstation towers, especially if you only plan on running a couple drives. You might find a whole machine (with RAM included) cheaper than just your motherboard will cost. I think something like a Dell Precision 5810 or HP z440 would suit your needs.

Don't get too hung up on a low TDP Xeon L CPU. They sound power efficient, but all CPUs of a given generation and class have roughly the same idle power consumption. Since the Ls are slower, they have to work longer to do the same job a 'hungrier' CPU would get done in a short burst.

An LGA2011-3 platform will open up the the E5-1600 and E5-2600 v3 and v4 (Haswell/Broadwell) CPUs, which can get you more cores and a higher RAM ceiling than the E3-1200s.

Thanks,

I seem have come to a similar conclusion. TDP is more the requirement for cooling than a indication of power useage. Idel C state C1 through to C3 will take care of idiling in low powers. I read somewhere that 8th gen xeon are not that good, is that correct?

I am trying to avoid buying a prebuilt. I want to try my hands at a scratch build. Something I can be proud of lol.

Thanks for pointing out about L series. Did not consider that.