Will a OEM motherboard fit in new case

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
59 minutes ago, Bigbro07 said:

Hi I have a question I have a HP EliteDesk 800 g1 small formfactor and I Want to upgrade my case so I can upgrade to a bigger power supply and GPU , Etc. but idk if the motherboard will fit a mid tower case idk what the size of the motherboard is here's the motherboard thanks P.S I accidently put it in  Programs, Apps and Websites IDK how to change it.

Screenshot_20220228-201450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.250b9ae212e98456daeb9ad80f3d6d49.jpg.c6a33e631633003b35747969fc9270a0.jpg

In general doing anything to an oem prebuilt with whitebox parts other than storage and memory is a potential recipe for disaster.  I recently opened one of these and it has a few weird features.  One of them is the light on the back which stays on for a while if the thing is unplugged, but drains the PSU and motherboard capacitors if the power button is pushed when the thing is unplugged and the light goes out.  Good chance you will lose that feature. Also those mount holes could look right but be off by a millimeter and the thing would no longer fit a different case.

Hi I have a question I have a HP EliteDesk 800 g1 small formfactor and I Want to upgrade my case so I can upgrade to a bigger power supply and GPU , Etc. but idk if the motherboard will fit a mid tower case idk what the size of the motherboard is here's the motherboard thanks P.S I accidently put it in  Programs, Apps and Websites IDK how to change it.

Screenshot_20220228-201450_Chrome.thumb.jpg.250b9ae212e98456daeb9ad80f3d6d49.jpg.c6a33e631633003b35747969fc9270a0.jpg

59 minutes ago, Bigbro07 said:

In general doing anything to an oem prebuilt with whitebox parts other than storage and memory is a potential recipe for disaster.  I recently opened one of these and it has a few weird features.  One of them is the light on the back which stays on for a while if the thing is unplugged, but drains the PSU and motherboard capacitors if the power button is pushed when the thing is unplugged and the light goes out.  Good chance you will lose that feature. Also those mount holes could look right but be off by a millimeter and the thing would no longer fit a different case.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Thanks I will probably save up to buy a whole new pc

3 minutes ago, Bigbro07 said:

Thanks I will probably save up to buy a whole new pc

A better plan.  Those things are dog slow anyway. Ram a Dparted key on one today and it was ever so much faster.  It was a win7 machine.  I suspect the thing is ready for a Linux.  It just can’t cope with the new stuff well anymore.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I've been down this rabbit hole since I got one of those boards for silly cheap a while back. No one, at the time, made the correct adapter to plug it into a standard ATX power supply, also the cooler mounting is non standard and uses the case itself to screw the cooler down to. I ended up just extracting the Windows 8 Pro key that was stored in the BIOS to get my money back out of the stupid impulse purchase.