GPU Stopped Powering On

AdvocateOfNyx

This post is about my father's pc, I have all of the important information about it but am really only to convey what he knows.

My father claimed that after leaving his computer, it would not turn on when he returned.  He said he left a video playing and may have left a game on in the background.  He called me and asked me to take a look, and I noticed the GPU fans were not spinning.  As far as I know, there are no lights on the GPU to tell if it is getting power.  I instructed him to uninstall and reinstall the GPU.  It still didn't work, so he tried an old one from a drawer in the house and that one DID power on with video out.  He tried his current one again to no avail.  No fan spinning, no video out, no power as far as we can tell. Made sure both display cables and monitors worked using the other GPU, so it isn't that either.

Is the GPU 100% certifiably dead?  Don't want to tell him to buy a new one (especially in today's market) if he doesn't have to.  Got a lot of medical bills and stuff to pay at this time, but he really wants to get back on Lost Ark as he plays with a bunch of friends and doesn't want to fall behind. He was telling me he was just going to 2-day ship an overpriced one from Amazon so he wouldn't miss out, but I convinced him to wait until we could see if somebody on here could help.  Thanks as always for any help.

Specs he can tell me:

Ryzen 5 3600

Aorus B450I Pro Wifi (itx sized)

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Mini

Some seasonic gold certified psu

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

22 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

This post is about my father's pc, I have all of the important information about it but am really only to convey what he knows.

My father claimed that after leaving his computer, it would not turn on when he returned.  He said he left a video playing and may have left a game on in the background.  He called me and asked me to take a look, and I noticed the GPU fans were not spinning.  As far as I know, there are no lights on the GPU to tell if it is getting power.  I instructed him to uninstall and reinstall the GPU.  It still didn't work, so he tried an old one from a drawer in the house and that one DID power on with video out.  He tried his current one again to no avail.  No fan spinning, no video out, no power as far as we can tell. Made sure both display cables and monitors worked using the other GPU, so it isn't that either.

Is the GPU 100% certifiably dead?  Don't want to tell him to buy a new one (especially in today's market) if he doesn't have to.  Got a lot of medical bills and stuff to pay at this time, but he really wants to get back on Lost Ark as he plays with a bunch of friends and doesn't want to fall behind. He was telling me he was just going to 2-day ship an overpriced one from Amazon so he wouldn't miss out, but I convinced him to wait until we could see if somebody on here could help.  Thanks as always for any help.

Specs he can tell me:

Ryzen 5 3600

Aorus B450I Pro Wifi (itx sized)

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Mini

Some seasonic gold certified psu

Do you have a PC? What happens when you put it in your machine?

Does sound dead, tho you could try the baking method to try and revive it for a shortish while. Most common issue are cracked solder joints, thus reflowing it might do the trick. I recommend using a heat gun and some aluminum foil 👍

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Do you have a PC? What happens when you put it in your machine?

Can't put it in my PC right now but will try my little brothers tomorrow and update.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

Just now, Ceremony64 said:

Does sound dead, tho you could try the baking method to try and revive it for a shortish while. Most common issue are cracked solder joints, thus reflowing it might do the trick. I recommend using a heat gun and some aluminum foil 👍

MIGHT try this if he agrees to it.  I mentioned it to him and he seemed pretty put off.  I think it's mostly resale value, hoping that selling the broken one on ebay will help pay for the markup on the new one.  I agree with him that it might be hard to sell a card that has been baked in the oven, but I guess it's up to him what it's worth.