NAS WiFi options?

Kuroo

Hi all, 

Trying to figure out what my options are for what I trying to do. I have a computer That is direct connect to a NAS. For internet that computer system is using Wi-Fi. What can I do to connect the NAS to the outside internet via only Wi-Fi? A Wi-Fi dongle won’t work as I have a NAS Sinology and they gotten rid of that in the latest OS DSM 7. The NAS has no options for a hardline network cable. Anybody any thoughts?

What model is it? I had no idea Synology made a NAS without a network port. Kinda silly as that's the main purpose of that device... to be network attached.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

???? Its a NAS that doesn't have wifi or an ethernet port?

Sounds like you bought a usb HDD enclosure, not a NAS box.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It would be better to move the NAS near your router so it can connect with a cable.

If you absolutely must have the NAS on WiFi, get a WiFi to Ethernet bridge. They're like a reverse access point, the NAS will think it's just connected to a plain ol' wired Ethernet network.

https://www.amazon.com/BrosTrend-600Mbps-Adapter-Wireless-WNA016/dp/B0118SPFCK

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 hours ago, Votivee said:

What model is it? I had no idea Synology made a NAS without a network port. Kinda silly as that's the main purpose of that device... to be network attached.

I have a network port. But as I said non access to the network other than wifi.

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

???? Its a NAS that doesn't have wifi or an ethernet port?

Sounds like you bought a usb HDD enclosure, not a NAS box.

It had ports but again as in stated no means for internet other than typing into Wi-Fi.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

It would be better to move the NAS near your router so it can connect with a cable.

If you absolutely must have the NAS on WiFi, get a WiFi to Ethernet bridge. They're like a reverse access point, the NAS will think it's just connected to a plain ol' wired Ethernet network.

https://www.amazon.com/BrosTrend-600Mbps-Adapter-Wireless-WNA016/dp/B0118SPFCK

Can do so sorry bud I have to hook up to Wi-Fi only and can’t connect to the wifi source. Looking for wifi options.

your "wifi options" will be to buy a new NAS box that has inbuilt if your current NAS doesn't support it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Kuroo said:

Can do so sorry bud I have to hook up to Wi-Fi only and can’t connect to the wifi source. Looking for wifi options.

Like I said, you can get a network bridge that connects to your WiFi and spits out Ethernet for your NAS. That will connect your NAS to WiFi in a way that DSM can't block.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

your "wifi options" will be to buy a new NAS box that has inbuilt if your current NAS doesn't support it.

I was trying to think if there is something I can connect to it like a swtich or something with wifi to connect to it.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Like I said, you can get a network bridge that connects to your WiFi and spits out Ethernet for your NAS. That will connect your NAS to WiFi in a way that DSM can't block.

Nice! That may work I give it a try thanks!

Some WiFi access points can be put in "client mode" and thus act "in reverse", connecting to an existing WiFi and giving you ethernet connectivity, that's what you'll want if you have no other choice.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2