Self Hosting

I am currently wanting to host a website on a raspberry pi and I want to be able to securely access it from the internet. (Outside my home) I understand I would have to port forward it and I would be using CloudFlare to have ddos/ssl security. I want to know how I would keep my site secure from hackers/bad actors. Any ideas?

I am a novice at this and am just getting into it so please bare with me.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Make sure you ISP allows this/does not block incoming connections on port 80 and 443. Many ISPs don't allow server hosting on residential connections. They might tollerate it, if traffic is low enough.

Self-hosting isn't the best idea in terms of speed and reliability. How much traffic do you expect there to be?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Make sure you ISP allows this/does not block incoming connections on port 80 and 443. Many ISPs don't allow server hosting on residential connections. They might tollerate it, if traffic is low enough.

Self-hosting isn't the best idea in terms of speed and reliability. How much traffic do you expect there to be?

Currently have Spectrum (If that helps) and I really only expect it to be me using the site (maybe a friend) at most

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Welp just did some research and it seems like my self hosting ideas are dead...

From the info I can find it seems like Spectrum doesn't allow hosting on residential internet.

I'll Just use heroku or smthn

System Specs

Peripherals

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 hour ago, SignatureSigner said:

Welp just did some research and it seems like my self hosting ideas are dead...

From the info I can find it seems like Spectrum doesn't allow hosting on residential internet.

I'll Just use heroku or smthn

Its not like they are going to hunt you down. If its not generating a tonne of traffic, its likely they would never find out. If they are not actively blocking incoming traffic on specific ports, i'd say they dont particularly care... Ive hosted personal stuff for years and my ISP has never bothered to call me.. but like you said, its only myself that use it.

If its for personal use or just a couple of people your probably fine. Unless the site is going to require massive bandwidth it will probably never be noticed. There are people sharing there plex servers from their homes that dont have any issues. You should see some of  the setups on the facebook groups it gets crazy. 

on a daily basis my wife and i are connecting to the servers in our home to stream, pull files, check cameras and have never had an issue. We do have AT&T fiber that gives us a static IP though. If you were trying to self host you may want to check to see if yours is as well.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:35 AM, Zagna said:

You could just get an Oracle Cloud Always Free instance.

Set up SSH keys and it's plenty secure.

how does that even make money? 

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

15 minutes ago, adarw said:

how does that even make money? 

They hope that few % of the people who get an Always Free instance, their little hobby app goes big and they end up buying lots of Oracle resources. Whales pay for the freeloaders.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 9:24 AM, SignatureSigner said:

Currently have Spectrum (If that helps) and I really only expect it to be me using the site (maybe a friend) at most

That is not actually true. You can get static IP's from Spectrum an when you do you then can run self hosted sites. I did this on Spectrum for 9 or 10 years. I moved and I am now on AT&T fiber and I have a 8 ip subnet which gives my 5 IP to use. Not the is all out of my home OH the IP's cost from 5 to 10 dollars a month.