Dell EMC VNX 5100e Full Factory Reset Issues

Hello again. Bunch of random posts going on here from yours truly, but that cannot be helped.

I have a chassis for an EMC VNX 5100. Very old, but I have access and want to use it for storage. However, I have had some issues with connecting to the box itself.

The box itself is on the network at its default address (192.168.1.1), however, it refuses to connect. After doing a port scan I found out that EVERY SINGLE PORT is closed. I have no idea why, but it is.

The only other way to connect to it is through a proprietary serial connector (image attached) by setting it up with a Dial-up connection on Windows 7. The only problem is this cable doesn't work. Dell forums don't seem to be much help, and I can't find any helpful documentation on this. Any ideas/advice?

Also I have not been able to find where to get this specific connection, as it appears to be proprietary.

IMG_1309.JPG

First, you need a switch.

Connect it to both management ports on both controllers (do NOT connect service ports).

Connect your PC/laptop to it too.

Select an IP for your PC/laptop that is going to be in same range as your VNX will be.

Now you need Unisphere Storage System Initialization Tool.

Run it, and it will discover your storage.

Set IP, and later connect to setup page.

You may have issues using Windows 10 to connect due to it using java, etc... for myself, it worked with custom Windows 8.1, and even Windows XP 😉