Any reason getting an ironwolf?

ArcticApe

Hello!

I'm planning out a simple NAS; two drives maybe in raid to host my movies and music. My question is; is there any reason paying extra (about 10% for my options) for a seagate ironwolf instead of just going with the chepaer seagate barracuda? what is the difference even?

Have a look here:

https://www.vueville.com/home-security/cctv/nvr/seagate-ironwolf-vs-barracuda-hard-drives-compared/

The biggest difference is the Power-on hours per year (24x7) and vibration sensors. It's essentially optimized for year long operation, rather than typical runtime in a desktop system.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

The Ironwolf series of drives are rated for 24/7 operation and operation within close proximity to other drives via anti-vibration measures, as well as support for other technologies like TLER, but those are unlikely to make much of a difference in your use case. They also have a longer warranty period than the Seagate Barracuda drives (3 years vs 2 years).

Barracudas will work and aren't really certain to fail faster than the Ironwolf series, but aren't specifically designed for NAS operation. The main two things are the rotational vibration sensors in the Ironwolf series and the longer warranty. With only two drives, vibration's not a major concern, so it's mostly up to you if you value the warranty and likely longer life in a 24/7 environment enough.