Download speed 4Mbps or less

DarkDream787

I have been using this computer and my internet connection since 2014 just fine. I have not had any issues except once before. I replaced the ethernet cable with a new one last year, and everything was fine. I have not installed anything new or made any system setting changes.

I am having the same issue again now, and its VERY annoying. I am getting the usual full upload speeds of 41Mbps or so, but my download is now only 4Mbps or less no matter what.

I have tried all of these to no avail.

1. Replaced the cable with a new cat6 cable

2. Reset router and modem multiple times

3. Tried different ports on the router

4. Tried connecting directly to the modem and not use the router at all

5. Tried driver reinstallations

6. Tried booting in safe mode

7. Tried clean bios reset

8. Manually tinkering with driver settings

I'm not sure wtf is going on but this is ridiculous. My wireless adapter seems to get about 600Mbps or so out of 1Gbps, but the ethernet gets nothing. It's annoying enough that were not getting the usual 980Mbps download we were getting, but now nothing will go over 600Mbps.

I have a second ethernet port on my motherboard. The one I was using is Intel Gb and the other is a Killer Gb. I found the Killer port to be lesser performing so I never used it. After doing all of the above things, I tried using the Killer port, and it works much better, but it only gets about 200Mbps or so download speed on average. It actually keeps fluctuating from barely over 100 to a max of 600 and doesn't seem to be stable. Each speed test gives a new result that varies greatly. most of the time its never over 300Mbps though. The fact that this port is capable of hitting 600Mbps even if one time in test, rules out the cable being the culprit I would say.

I tried going back to the other port on the motherboard, and no matter what its still only capable of 4Mbps Download or less.

I have payed about $800 or so for top notch modem and routers. They were working perfectly and I don't think those are the culprit.

My absolute best guess is, maybe the ports have gotten old, but this has happened before and a new ethernet cable fixed it for months. I doubt the ports are both dead.

Literally the only thing I can think of that I have not tried is a fresh clean install of the operating system.

Any idea why a perfectly working port would just suddenly go from 980Mbps Down and 41Mbps Up into a 4Mbps or less Down and 41Mbps Up?

Whats confusing me most is why upload is capable of going faster, but download is not.

32 minutes ago, DarkDream787 said:

I have been using this computer and my internet connection since 2014 just fine. I have not had any issues except once before. I replaced the ethernet cable with a new one last year, and everything was fine. I have not installed anything new or made any system setting changes.

I am having the same issue again now, and its VERY annoying. I am getting the usual full upload speeds of 41Mbps or so, but my download is now only 4Mbps or less no matter what.

I have tried all of these to no avail.

1. Replaced the cable with a new cat6 cable

2. Reset router and modem multiple times

3. Tried different ports on the router

4. Tried connecting directly to the modem and not use the router at all

5. Tried driver reinstallations

6. Tried booting in safe mode

7. Tried clean bios reset

8. Manually tinkering with driver settings

I'm not sure wtf is going on but this is ridiculous. My wireless adapter seems to get about 600Mbps or so out of 1Gbps, but the ethernet gets nothing. It's annoying enough that were not getting the usual 980Mbps download we were getting, but now nothing will go over 600Mbps.

I have a second ethernet port on my motherboard. The one I was using is Intel Gb and the other is a Killer Gb. I found the Killer port to be lesser performing so I never used it. After doing all of the above things, I tried using the Killer port, and it works much better, but it only gets about 200Mbps or so download speed on average. It actually keeps fluctuating from barely over 100 to a max of 600 and doesn't seem to be stable. Each speed test gives a new result that varies greatly. most of the time its never over 300Mbps though. The fact that this port is capable of hitting 600Mbps even if one time in test, rules out the cable being the culprit I would say.

I tried going back to the other port on the motherboard, and no matter what its still only capable of 4Mbps Download or less.

I have payed about $800 or so for top notch modem and routers. They were working perfectly and I don't think those are the culprit.

My absolute best guess is, maybe the ports have gotten old, but this has happened before and a new ethernet cable fixed it for months. I doubt the ports are both dead.

Literally the only thing I can think of that I have not tried is a fresh clean install of the operating system.

Any idea why a perfectly working port would just suddenly go from 980Mbps Down and 41Mbps Up into a 4Mbps or less Down and 41Mbps Up?

Whats confusing me most is why upload is capable of going faster, but download is not.

Maybe try checking if there is dust in your ethernet port.
Also If you have one use a network tester to confirm the ethernet cable is wired up correctly

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

1 hour ago, CustomEnchants said:

Maybe try checking if there is dust in your ethernet port.
Also If you have one use a network tester to confirm the ethernet cable is wired up correctly

I wiped the port clean with a q-tip back in the beginning when I was doing all the troubleshooting. It's not dirty.

I tried multiple cables, and bought new ones, so I doubt all of the different cables wiring are bad.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:46 AM, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

Bad NIC by the sound of it.

Can you borrow someone else's laptop to test?

Don't need to. My other PC, and other devices are fine when I checked them. It's also just the one port on the motherboard giving me the issue, while the other works but not as great as it should. I still find it weird that upload speed works just as it always has and at full speed, but the download is what gets stuck at 4Mbps or less in that one port.

Possible port becoming aged or damaged was something I have already considered. Just wanted some other opinions since it's not really that old, and I have several older computers.Their ethernet ports are still fine. It also had this happen once before as soon as I upgraded my ISP connection, and magically fixed itself with a new cable. There may possibly be some stupid setting, or option that caused it, however unlikely it sounds.

I'm going to test it with a fresh install of Windows when I can, and see if this persists.

34 minutes ago, DarkDream787 said:

I'm going to test it with a fresh install of Windows when I can, and see if this persists.

No need for a fresh install, for a simple check you could also just use a live Linux image (boot from usb flash drive directly into live OS), that way you also test if it is a Windows driver problem.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

1 hour ago, Biohazard777 said:

No need for a fresh install, for a simple check you could also just use a live Linux image (boot from usb flash drive directly into live OS), that way you also test if it is a Windows driver problem.

I was going to boot from USB thumb drive to Windows (Not reinstall over my current Windows installation), but doing it to Linux is actually a decent test idea should the issue persist in the clean Windows install test. Nice work thinking of that one. It had slipped by me as an idea.