Problems after Cloning

Hey there community,

I need help with a problem that I got myself into and I can't figure it out.

I cloned my OS with all partitions on that 250GB drive (C:) to a new 500GB M.2 Drive (D:). After the cloning I restarted the PC and went into the bios to change the drive to boot from. After booting from D: the screen stayed black but when I moved my mouse it showed me my mouse pointer but nothing else. Ctrl+alt+delete didn't work either. Then I tried to disconnect the old SSD (C:) and boot from D: again. Nothing changed. But I was able to boot into the Safe mode. In there it showed me the error "sihost.exe unknown hard error" and my screen was all black and flickering. I was able to open cmd and use SFC, some Dism checks and Chkdsk. But it didn't help at all. So now I reconnected the old SSD C: and disconnected the new SSD D:, after doing that I tried to boot into windows but the same black screen with mouse pointer showed up as before and now I can't even boot into windows with safe mode on C:...

I have no clue what to do now. Why would a cloning process do anything with my old SSD or am I missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance,

razornung

Sounds like your OS is corrupted, you could attempt to repair it when using a bootable USB if you don't wanna loose files to a fresh install.

4 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Sounds like your OS is corrupted, you could attempt to repair it when using a bootable USB if you don't wanna loose files to a fresh install.

I'm probably gonna do that tomorrow. I just tried to boot into the old SSD in safe mode to restart the cloning process, and it still launched me into the new SSD with the black screen issue... But from there I can open programs via commands and use the explorer. So it basically allows me to safe my files and then do a fresh reinstall...

For an IT admin for system integration I hate this shit too much... But thanks for confirming what I thought to be the worst case.