EKWB AM4 Velocity Block temps

OniChanNP

Just wondering what type of temps people are getting...

I currently have a dual loop set up.  For my CPU I have a EK Velo on my 5800x going to a 420 rad with Corsair QL's (I know not the best rad fans but I like the rgb!!).  Idle temps are fine in the low to mid 30's on stock settings.  My issue is on Cinebench R23 my temps shoot up in the low 80's in a few seconds and top off at about 85-88.  I was getting better thermals on my old AIO I was using before I went to a custom loop.  I email with EK Support (was one of the most painful processes I've ever had to endure with anything tech), and the short and short of weeks of correspondence and sending videos and pics ended with: "I talked to my R&D and they said thats perfectly normal..."  This is the only CPU block that I've ever used and just want to know what everyone else's experience is.  Is that the kind of temps everyone is seeing.  Here are all the pertinent variables.

Ambient temp: 25-27 degrees Celsius

Case: Meshify 2xl

Radiators:

- cpu loop: 420 rad x 30mm

- gpu loop: 420 rad x 45mm

Pump/Res: 

- D5 Varios x 2 on Alphacool Aurora 250 reservoirs x 2

Fans: Corsair QL x 9 (3+2 front and underneath the psu shroud as intake, and 4 top and rear as exhaust)

CPU: 5800x

GPU: Asrock 6900 OC Formula

BTW: those temps were obtained during a Cinebench R23 30min stability test with fans speeds at 100% and the D5's at a manual setting of "3".  GPU Loop is running at 2.5L/min and CPU Loops is running at 3.5L/min.

I don't know... I kinda find the answer of "perfectly normal" for 85-87 degree temps on a 420 rad with 100% fan speed on a dedicated CPU-only loop on stock setting to be kinda BS...

Let me know what you guys think and what kind of temps you guys get on your loops...

Oh Yeah, all the normal stuff was done: reseating the block, cleaning out the block, etc...

RIG.jfif

Honestly sounds like the block itself is kinda shitty with the design. 5800x shouldnt be that hot. Check your voltages and such when doing tasks, it could be boosting much higher then it did before, with higher speeds due to higher avaiable power, or it could be throttling because you messed up the Thermal paste, Mounting pressure, Voltages. 

Also to be fair you will not really notice a difference between a 360mm AIO vs a 420 custom loop with just a 5800x.... Its not exactly a high TDP Chip like a x99/x299/ Threadripper/Epic CPUS are.  Also i dont think your GPU needed a 420 thickboi rad either, how are its temps?

I feel its mounting pressure and am very temped to get an extra mounting kit and see if that helps.  But i sent EK pictures of the thermal imprints and they say its fine.  I dont know... I'm just not happy with my temps.  Also debating lapping the cpu and block to see if that helps. Voltages are just stock setting and stock boost and are reading 1.331-1.381.  None of it effects my normal day to day usage but it still gnaws at me knowing that its like that. 

And no, I don't need the thickboi  😆 but it helps fill out the case and it completely fills the gap from removing the psu shroud rad plate.  I've been extremely happy with my gpu temps.  it idles 30-31 and on a Furmark stress test maxes at about 70 on an OC to 2700MHz .

7 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

@OniChanNPIs this at stock or with any kind of OC enabled?

Its all stock settings.  I want to OC it but with those kinds of temps i'm a bit hesitant.

1 hour ago, OniChanNP said:

I feel its mounting pressure and am very temped to get an extra mounting kit and see if that helps.

If it helps, I found that I had to re-mount my EK Supremacy MX several times before I could get a decent temp. Their Quantum Magnitude block however seemed to be fine first try. I also switched up thermal pastes between the time of Supremacy and the Quantum (from Arctic Silver to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut), so maybe that had something to do with it. But my temps were similar to yours before I could get the mounting just right.

24 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

If it helps, I found that I had to re-mount my EK Supremacy MX several times before I could get a decent temp. Their Quantum Magnitude block however seemed to be fine first try. I also switched up thermal pastes between the time of Supremacy and the Quantum (from Arctic Silver to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut), so maybe that had something to do with it. But my temps were similar to yours before I could get the mounting just right.

I did switch to kryonaut this last time and i did see some improvement but only slight. I'm about to give up on this velocity block and thinking just going to a monoblock.  I appreciat the thoughts though.