3200mhz ram but it shows only 1064mhz in speccy?

Rujdaga

Hey guys, i got a r5 1500x, ab350m gaming 3 mobo and viper blackout 4 3200mhz 16gb kit, i enabled xmp (which should enable 3200mhz) and i went to speccy, ran a memtest and it shows maximum 1064mhz (ddr is 2128mhz), why's that, how can i make it 3200mhz or smth?

16GB DDR4 Viper 4 Blackout 3200MHZ Ryzen 5 1500X AB350M-gaming3 GTX 1060 6gb Asus dual OC, 1TB hdd seagate 7200rpm, 120gb samsung m.2 ssd

Did you enable the xmp or are you running it stock

opps. Check that xmp actually is set at a higher value than stock

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Did you enable the xmp or are you running it stock

Xmp is enabled, 

16451287055517664459425159278931.jpg

16GB DDR4 Viper 4 Blackout 3200MHZ Ryzen 5 1500X AB350M-gaming3 GTX 1060 6gb Asus dual OC, 1TB hdd seagate 7200rpm, 120gb samsung m.2 ssd

Just now, Rujdaga said:

Xmp is enabled, 

16451287055517664459425159278931.jpg

its enabled but it seems that even though the bios is saying its enabled if you see the two clocks of the selected speed the right side is usually the current speed and the left is the selected.  What happens when you try to save and exit out of the bios does it boot loop and after a few trys it boots?(most bios's reset after saving if the current setting doesnt work.  Your current xmp profile may be not correct and may have to be done manually.  Its a common issue, some suppliers provide wrong details of the rated voltage/spec they should run at. Try setting it manually without changing the voltage/ set xmp so it handles the timings and then set the ram speed from 2133 stress test until you find the most stable.  If it doesnt get you anywhere try and apply some additional voltage but I would highly reccomend researching the specifics of chip manufactures and how much power and heat they can take before modifying anything with the voltage for ram as giving it too much voltage can end in premature failure. 

2 minutes ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

its enabled but it seems that even though the bios is saying its enabled if you see the two clocks of the selected speed the right side is usually the current speed and the left is the selected.  What happens when you try to save and exit out of the bios does it boot loop and after a few trys it boots?(most bios's reset after saving if the current setting doesnt work.  Your current xmp profile may be not correct and may have to be done manually.  Its a common issue, some suppliers provide wrong details of the rated voltage/spec they should run at. Try setting it manually without changing the voltage/ set xmp so it handles the timings and then set the ram speed from 2133 stress test until you find the most stable.  If it doesnt get you anywhere try and apply some additional voltage but I would highly reccomend researching the specifics of chip manufactures and how much power and heat they can take before modifying anything with the voltage for ram as giving it too much voltage can end in premature failure. 

Ill try, also, i found out that my bios is really old, imma update it real quick, my current bios is f6 and the most recent one is f51d, that may fix the problem, and also i dont know how to manually set the speed, can u explain how?

Speccy hasn't been updated in ages, but I doubt that it has anything to do with the problem

Highly knowledgeable in all the obscure 2000s hardware & software you'll never need to ask about

Just now, Rujdaga said:

Ill try, also, i found out that my bios is really old, imma update it real quick, my current bios is f6 and the most recent one is f51d, that may fix the problem, and also i dont know how to manually set the speed, can u explain how?

click on auto and select your speed from there make sure to test it gradually you can go straight to 3200 but it may spit it out, test it with long stress tests 1 hr should suffice.

4 minutes ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

also, should i update it like from f6 to f51d or just go to f40 than f51d? Cuz i saw somewhere that someone said f40 changes how bios updates?

Just now, R3dbullDrinker said:

click on auto and select your speed from there make sure to test it gradually you can go straight to 3200 but it may spit it out, test it with long stress tests 1 hr should suffice.

im clicking on auto and nothing happens

Just now, Rujdaga said:

also, should i update it like from f6 to f51d or just go to f40 than f51d? Cuz i saw somewhere that someone said f40 changes how bios updates?

Whats the newest compatible version?  The motherboard manufacturer wouldnt create an update that would rule out older cpus on it.

1 minute ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

Whats the newest compatible version?  The motherboard manufacturer wouldnt create an update that would rule out older cpus on it.

the newest bios update is f51d, https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios check it

try a double click, or enter?

should i slowly update bios from f6 to f31, than to f40, and from f40 to f51d?

22 minutes ago, Rujdaga said:

Hey guys, i got a r5 1500x, ab350m gaming 3 mobo and viper blackout 4 3200mhz 16gb kit, i enabled xmp (which should enable 3200mhz) and i went to speccy, ran a memtest and it shows maximum 1064mhz (ddr is 2128mhz), why's that, how can i make it 3200mhz or smth?

First gen (Ry)Zen + lower-end RAM = bad time getting XMP to work. I couldn't get my 3200 G.Skill Trizent Z (CAS14) to be stable on my previous 1600X until 3000MHz, and I've seen worse from cheaper kits (on Zen+). It's probably failing at memory training and reverting back to last-known-good RAM speeds.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

Just now, Rujdaga said:

should i slowly update bios from f6 to f31, than to f40, and from f40 to f51d?

nah you can go straight to newest

nah you can go straight to newest

but u can see how they said like before updating to f40 u gotta update to f31 and install smth, than from f40 to f51d?

2 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

First gen (Ry)Zen + lower-end RAM = bad time getting XMP to work. I couldn't get my 3200 G.Skill Trizent Z (CAS14) to be stable, and I've seen worse from cheaper kits (on Zen+). It's probably failing at memory training and reverting back to last-known-good RAM speeds.

what do u say bout this?

2 minutes ago, Rujdaga said:

but u can see how they said like before updating to f40 u gotta update to f31 and install smth, than from f40 to f51d?

what do u say bout this?

I have found this true on my ryzen 2600x they are really picky with ram.  The thing about reverting to last good ram speeds is true.  I actually agree with him its probably first gen ryzen as a whole they have huge memory issues, especially if you have more than two sticks.  The try and increase the voltage (on youtube) specifically on your specific ram kit.  Your mem controller may just be overwhelmed.

8 minutes ago, Rujdaga said:

what do u say bout this?

I say that that combination of CPU, motherboard, and RAM are not capable of hitting 3200MHz without (at minimum) manual tweaking of timings or (likely) at all. The original Zen memory controller was notoriously poor, which only made the fact that the InfinityFabric clock (until Zen2) was tied directly to RAM speed much more annoying.

You can try pushing more voltage to the RAM (but don't overdo it). You can also select XMP, then select a slower frequency to see if you can find a point of stability. You'll probably need to get acquainted with memory stability testing.

Word of warning: unstable RAM can lead to all sorts of weird bugs (including: random, unrelated BSoDs; file corruption; bork Windows installs; random app crashes... ask me how I know...), so keep backups and don't push it too far.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

6 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

I say that that combination of CPU, motherboard, and RAM are not capable of hitting 3200MHz without (at minimum) manual tweaking of timings or (likely) at all. The original Zen memory controller was notoriously poor, which only made the fact that the InfinityFabric clock (until Zen2) was tied directly to RAM speed much more annoying.

You can try pushing more voltage to the RAM (but don't overdo it). You can also select XMP, then select a slower frequency to see if you can find a point of stability. You'll probably need to get acquainted with memory stability testing.

Word of warning: unstable RAM can lead to all sorts of weird bugs (including: random, unrelated BSoDs; file corruption; bork Windows installs; random app crashes... ask me how I know...), so keep backups and don't push it too far.

The mem controller on zen+ could be fixed with higher voltage but most ram chips will take it well.  

55 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

47 minutes ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

The mem controller on zen+ could be fixed with higher voltage but most ram chips will take it well.  

Hey guys, i updated my bios to f31 (cuz ec fw tool wouldnt update cuz it says flash.dll failed smth, but works, i kept clicking space and now it says 3200mhz in bios, and in task manager.

15 hours ago, Rujdaga said:

Hey guys, i updated my bios to f31 (cuz ec fw tool wouldnt update cuz it says flash.dll failed smth, but works, i kept clicking space and now it says 3200mhz in bios, and in task manager.

is it running dual channel in task manager if the speed is running dual channel it should be showing directly half the speed of 3200 1600mhz.

3 hours ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

is it running dual channel in task manager if the speed is running dual channel it should be showing directly half the speed of 3200 1600mhz.

it is dual channel, image.png.b7521b97ef268d6392b96310b99138f6.pngimage.png.587ccff2046d16d93d1d6dc6b9cf61b0.png

3 hours ago, R3dbullDrinker said:

Dual channel does not effect the reported speed of the RAM. The factor of two comes from the "DDR" (double data rate), which transfers at both the rising and falling edges of the clock signal.

Network:

Spoiler

Retired/Other:

Spoiler