StrongARM-ing the AIO - new iMac Pro coming June

williamcll

More than half of apple's products have been migrated to ARM-based CPUs, from some unconfirmed documents the next computer on the line will be the iMac Pro, which will featured an upgraded screen.

Quotes

Rumors originally suggested that the new ‌iMac‌ could launch in the spring, but Young in late January said that he was expecting a "summer" launch. At the time, Young claimed that panel shipments were expected to begin in June and that a launch could follow in August or September, but he appears to have moved his timeline up. The 27-inch ‌iMac‌ will be sold alongside the 24-inch ‌iMac‌ as a higher-end version, and to bring it in line with the MacBook Pro, it could be called the ‌iMac‌ Pro. It will feature a mini-LED backlight, and Young today said that he expects it will have "around 1000 zones" and "over 4000 miniLEDs." Along with a mini-LED display, the ‌iMac‌ is expected to feature a redesigned look and the same M1 Pro and M1 Max chips introduced in the 2021 MacBook Pro models.

My thoughts

I can imagine Tim droning for half an hour how good looking their iMac is in a few months. Though without the mobility power restrictions I do wonder how much faster can the M1 ProMax

Sources

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/02/14/imac-pro-2022-june-launch/

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

It'll be interesting to see what they do. The M1 SoCs are impressive, but they still can't go toe-to-toe with something like a 12900K or whatever AMD has lined up with Zen 4, especially with 16c/32t beasts like the 5950X, in professional workloads. It's possible they might be able to pump a lot more power into it, given there won't be the battery saving restrictions current M1 devices carry. However, I'm not sure how much extra power they could actually pump into given the 5nm node and SoC nature. At a certain point, you just melt everything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Disappointed and excited, was hoping to hear about an AIO cooled M1 max imac pro but this also looks pretty good for competing with most semi-pro and entry level pro editing stations.

Obviously going to be too expensive but for the screen and form factor it is going to sell like crazy.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it