Replaced moca 1.0 adapters with moca 2.5 adapters, no speed difference?

gamagama69

https://kiwee-broadband.com/moca-2-5-network-adapter-1gbps-ethernet-port/

With support for the latest MoCA 2.5 standard, the KB-M3-01 delivers wired speeds up to 1 Gbps Full Duplex*

* Theoretical data throughput numbers are based on maximum, theoretical PHY throughput for MoCA 2.5. Actual data throughput of up to 1 Gbps Full Duplex (TCP) seen in laboratory testing. The throughput will vary based on the condition and noise found on the coaxial cabling within the home as well as the type of Ethernet Adapter supported on each computer or other device.

In a home environment, you're very likely to never see the lab tested theoretical maximums. Too many variables. 

You have nothing that's 100Mb/s in between these connections, correct? A switch, maybe?

9 minutes ago, gamagama69 said:

I was getting somewhere between 90 and 100 mbs per second.

Mb/s or MB/s?

100MB/s would be your connection's capacity.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Mb/s or MB/s?

100MB/s would be your connection's capacity.

Mb, sorry

17 minutes ago, rickeo said:

https://kiwee-broadband.com/moca-2-5-network-adapter-1gbps-ethernet-port/

In a home environment, you're very likely to never see the lab tested theoretical maximums. Too many variables. 

You have nothing that's 100Mb/s in between these connections, correct? A switch, maybe?

No. I haven't tested the cable I'm using into the injection adapter though.

Would a really long coax run lower the speed?

59 minutes ago, gamagama69 said:

Would a really long coax run lower the speed?

Yes, it could.

The kind of coax you have will also make a difference. RG-59 will perform worse than RG-6, which will perform worse than RG-8. (There are beefier types of cable than that, but even RG-8 is hitting the law of diminishing returns for an installation at residential scale.)

How the cable is run makes a difference, too. If it's run parallel to AC power cable, it can pick up interference. (Never run data and AC right next to each other.)

If the F connectors weren't terminated properly, with strands of the shield frayed into the center conductor's side of the insulator, then that can attenuate your signal. (Especially if there's a shield strand touching the center conductor.)

You'll also lose a few db for every splitter the signal has to run through. A home run directly between the two devices is best, if you can manage it. If not, they make asymmetric splitters that have one connector that pads the signal less than the others.

Also, double-check the cables and devices on the Ethernet side. If they're only 10/100, or the cable you're using is damaged or only CAT5, then the MoCA boxes might not be your bottleneck.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

A home run directly between the two devices is best, if you can manage it. If not, they make asymmetric splitters that have one connector that pads the signal less than the others.

Of course if you can do a home run then even CAT5e is a better option.

People obsess over harder to terminate CAT6 or higher, but honestly over short runs even 5Gbit is fine over CAT5e and if all you need is Gigabit you've got 100m to play with.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

You also need to check every splitter in use between the two MoCA adaptors to make sure they are high frequency ones, they should go up to 2.4GHz aka 2400MHz. If no frequency range is listed, then they aren’t high frequency.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

9 minutes ago, brwainer said:

You also need to check every splitter in use between the two MoCA adaptors to make sure they are high frequency ones, they should go up to 2.4GHz aka 2400MHz. If no frequency range is listed, then they aren’t high frequency.

😬

shit I'll try look for that

how much do high frequency splitters cost?

1 hour ago, gamagama69 said:

😬

shit I'll try look for that

how much do high frequency splitters cost?

They’re about the same price when comparing new as regular ones, just have to check what you’re buying. Usually can find 1 for ~$8 and 2 for ~$12

On 2/15/2022 at 10:46 PM, brwainer said:

They’re about the same price when comparing new as regular ones, just have to check what you’re buying. Usually can find 1 for ~$8 and 2 for ~$12

So I finally was able to test this. I swapped a slow 1002 mhz splitter for just a male to male patch connector, and the speed jumped to about 250 Mbs.

Do I need some sort of active coax repeater to get higher speeds?

3 hours ago, gamagama69 said:

So I finally was able to test this. I swapped a slow 1002 mhz splitter for just a male to male patch connector, and the speed jumped to about 250 Mbs.

Do I need some sort of active coax repeater to get higher speeds?

No, just search amazon or wherever for a “moca splitter”, make sure it is rated for 2300MHz, 2400MHz, 2.4GHz, etc (anything higher than 2000MHz/2GHz). The ones listed with speeds like 1675MHz are MoCA 1.

5 hours ago, brwainer said:

No, just search amazon or wherever for a “moca splitter”, make sure it is rated for 2300MHz, 2400MHz, 2.4GHz, etc (anything higher than 2000MHz/2GHz). The ones listed with speeds like 1675MHz are MoCA 1.

Why would a splitter do a better job than a patch adapter? I only had 1 connection in that splitter anyway.

It's something like this:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/UTB83jBMXpfJXKJkSamHq6zLyVXa4/UXCELL-2-Pcs-F-Type-Female-To-Female-Jack-Coax-Antenna-Cable-Rf-Adapter-Connector.jpg

Edited by gamagama69

21 minutes ago, gamagama69 said:

Why would a splitter do a better job than a patch adapter? I only had 1 connection in that splitter anyway.

It's something like this:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/UTB83jBMXpfJXKJkSamHq6zLyVXa4/UXCELL-2-Pcs-F-Type-Female-To-Female-Jack-Coax-Antenna-Cable-Rf-Adapter-Connector.jpg

Oh, if you didn't need to split it, then yeah a direct connection like that would be better.

I understand now. No, you do not want to add a powered amplifier, it would not help even if you found a high frequency one (they do exist, for satellite signals). If you have direct coax from one MoCA device, to that coupler, then to the other MoCA device, then you are getting the most you can. The next thing to do would probably be either re-crimping all the connectors (maybe the ground isn't making a good connection, that's a common mistake when crimping coax, that often isn't noticed with cable TV) or replacing all the coax.

Edit: Actually, the MoCA adapters probably expect a certain amount of loss. While the loss with the low frequency splitter was too high (especially at the high frequencies), the loss with the coupler may not be enough. When I say "expect" loss, what I mean is that the transmission power is higher than what the receiving circuitry can handle. If this was the case, the better method would be to install an attenuator, which is like a resistor but applies an equal power drop to all frequencies. Unfortunately, I don't have any way to suggest you to measure and figure this out, it would be trial and error. The other aspect is how much attenuation is needed - 3dB, 6dB, 10dB? Again, trial and error. With TV and DOCSIS signals there are meters that are used to measure and determine this, but aside from those being expensive, I don't think the same exists for MoCA.