So there I was on Wccftech trying to have a meaningful discussion....

It was on the article about Intel wanting it's customers to pay to unlock additional features on CPUs they already purchased. https://wccftech.com/intel-pay-additional-features-cpus-sdsi

While I was reading the comments I came across a section talking about Intel artificially segmenting the market. I commented about Intel making ECC RAM only available on Server CPUs and Linus Torvalds calling them out on it.

This was the response I got (the guy happens to be the most insulting, name-calling, among other things person on there...and that's saying something).

FIae8At.png

I am curious...was I wrong? Am I, a consumer, stupid to want ECC RAM on my Desktop helping to protect the decades on information that resides on my system? I use it in my server for that reason so why not on my desktop?

Just ignore him. We call AMD's IMC weak for not handling memory overclocks and high capacity memory that Intel CPUs could, not for it causing errors more with stable settings. He's an unfortunate child under the Dunning-Kruger effect with a bad mouth

Oh and he chose to ignore many online services running Linux derivatives simply because Windows is less stable and often not as good for performance. This includes Android on smartphones.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

37 minutes ago, KRDucky said:

It was on the article about Intel wanting it's customers to pay to unlock additional features on CPUs they already purchased. https://wccftech.com/intel-pay-additional-features-cpus-sdsi

While I was reading the comments I came across a section talking about Intel artificially segmenting the market. I commented about Intel making ECC RAM only available on Server CPUs and Linus Torvalds calling them out on it.

This was the response I got (the guy happens to be the most insulting, name-calling, among other things person on there...and that's saying something).

FIae8At.png

I am curious...was I wrong? Am I, a consumer, stupid to want ECC RAM on my Desktop helping to protect the decades on information that resides on my system? I use it in my server for that reason so why not on my desktop?

for the vast majority of people and if they cost a fair bit more to make? Yeah ECC ram is pretty stupid for a consumer grade board. You simply dont need it, most modern ram nowadays is plenty good enough and doesnt nearly have the same issues as they had in the past. 

Would it be nice to still have as an option? Sure, but at what cost? IMC's already have a limited amount of space, so there are always gonna be trade offs. I hope one day AMD's IMC get to be much better, but honestly its not like they are terrible. Ram past 3400-3600 just simply isnt worth the diminishing return, and with DDR5 and AM5, its gonna be a while before ram pricies for DDR5 even come close to DDR4 levels.

Id trade off ECC support if it meant a motherboard lasted more then a generation. I wish Intel didnt just do one and dones, its just so wasteful. But then again they are just pumping more power into their chips rather then making them better. Its what Nvidias doing and its getting out of hand

Wccftech is a trash site and I am not surprised their forum community is also a garbage dump.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 hours ago, KRDucky said:

FIae8At.png

It's not wrong to want something. That's human nature. Your feelings. Embrace them.

I as an aware consumer, would rather have non ECC performance desktop memory so that I can run a frequency of 4000mhz (with my Intel) and enjoy the Performance of a Gaming desktop rig.

If you wanted like 128gb, you would be reduced in frequency even with non ECC memory, so perhaps it would be a viable choice. Especially if you intend to use it in a workstation environment with tons of redundancy and typically more than a single cpu socket for maximum WORKstation type production.