WIFI Router video???

Devlpr

Looking to purchase a new Wi-Fi 6 router soon and I am wondering if there is an updated video explaining what the AX?????? means??? Also what 6e is and should I wait?

4 minutes ago, Devlpr said:

Looking to purchase a new Wi-Fi 6 router soon and I am wondering if there is an updated video explaining what the AX?????? means??? Also what 6e is and should I wait?

IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia

this article lists every single type of wifi standard and their speeds and differences...rather than me trying to explain poorly ill just refer you to this link

AX is the old name for WiFi 6. They used to use the letters in consumer facing situations and now they use the numbers.

Short explanation:

802.11n = WiFi 4

802.11ac = WiFi 5

802.11ax = WiFi 6

The older 802.11b and 802.11g were not given such designations, likely because devices that use those standards are not being sold in significant quantities anymore.

As for 6E, it offers the 6GHz frequency as well, allowing for higher bandwidth and less noise compared to the more heavily used 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. It's not all-around better, as 6GHz has even shorter effective range than 5GHz, but if you are near the access point and both devices support 6E, it's certainly nice to have. It gives your router a third band distinct from the other two, which should help if you want to use a lot of devices. Although, in my opinion, it's overpriced at the moment for most consumers.

-> Moved to Networking

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, Devlpr said:

Its a bad time to buy as it seems the silicon shortage has kinda killed the rollout of 6e and we might move straight onto WiFi 7 instead.

7 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

As for 6E, it offers the 6GHz frequency as well, allowing for higher bandwidth and less noise compared to the more heavily used 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. It's not all-around better, as 6GHz has even shorter effective range than 5GHz, but if you are near the access point and both devices support 6E, it's certainly nice to have. It gives your router a third band distinct from the other two, which should help if you want to use a lot of devices. Although, in my opinion, it's overpriced at the moment for most consumers.

You've actually found one for sale?  I haven't even seen any yet.

Fortunately upgrading my laptops to the Intel AX210 wasn't a waste, as they perform better than the AX200 even on WiFi 5.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7