Stay at 1080p 144Hz or upgrade to 1440p 144Hz?

JustinHunter
Go to solution Solved by gamagama69,
46 minutes ago, JustinHunter said:

Here's my current build: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Team Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  
Storage: Toshiba 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB MECH 2X OC Video Card 
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair Vengeance 750 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply 
Monitor: AOC 24G2 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor 

I just upgraded to a 6600XT from a RX 570 and I've been pretty happy with it, pretty much doubles my performance or more in all the games I've played. Now I'm looking towards upgrading either my CPU to a 5600X or upgrading my monitor to 1440p. Would my 2600 be able to handle the current and future generation of games at 1440p? Alternatively, I could upgrade to a 5600X first, then in the future I could look to upgrading my monitor to 1440p 144Hz, but would a 5600X and 6600XT be overkill for 1080p? Thanks in advance and any advice would be appreciated! 

You probably won't get 144 in the latest games unless you drop the settings a bit, but you will get 60.
It really depends on how much you need 144. If you want that, or close to it, in all games, I'd stick with 1080p. If your fine with 60-70 in single player games, get the 1440p monitor

Here's my current build: 

Power Supply: Corsair Vengeance 750 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply 

I just upgraded to a 6600XT from a RX 570 and I've been pretty happy with it, pretty much doubles my performance or more in all the games I've played. Now I'm looking towards upgrading either my CPU to a 5600X or upgrading my monitor to 1440p. Would my 2600 be able to handle the current and future generation of games at 1440p? Alternatively, I could upgrade to a 5600X first, then in the future I could look to upgrading my monitor to 1440p 144Hz, but would a 5600X and 6600XT be overkill for 1080p? Thanks in advance and any advice would be appreciated! 

With a 6600XT I'm not sure. 1440p is generally a good upgrade, but though it might also make you have to compensate with than lowering graphics fair bit, I would say it depends kind of on which games you play

18 minutes ago, JustinHunter said:

Would my 2600 be able to handle the current and future generation of games at 1440p?

that's one of the benefits of scaling up the resolution, the system becomes less CPU limited.

The amount of pixels goes up, the GPU takes longer and longer to render each frame and the CPU receives less requests for data being moved from the drive to the GPU.

you can test this out with VSR settings (Virtual Super Resolution) in the AMD settings and have your GPU render at 1440p and then downscale to 1080p for the monitor. It's not a perfect apples to apples but it can show how your CPU will handle the GPU rendering higher resolution frames and close to what FPS you will be looking at with the card running 1440p.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

46 minutes ago, JustinHunter said:

Here's my current build: 

You probably won't get 144 in the latest games unless you drop the settings a bit, but you will get 60.
It really depends on how much you need 144. If you want that, or close to it, in all games, I'd stick with 1080p. If your fine with 60-70 in single player games, get the 1440p monitor

35 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

that's one of the benefits of scaling up the resolution, the system becomes less CPU limited.

The amount of pixels goes up, the GPU takes longer and longer to render each frame and the CPU receives less requests for data being moved from the drive to the GPU.

you can test this out with VSR settings (Virtual Super Resolution) in the AMD settings and have your GPU render at 1440p and then downscale to 1080p for the monitor. It's not a perfect apples to apples but it can show how your CPU will handle the GPU rendering higher resolution frames and close to what FPS you will be looking at with the card running 1440p.

That's a good idea, I totally forgot VSR existed so I'll definitely try it out 

4 minutes ago, gamagama69 said:

I think I would probably want 144 more, it would pretty much defeat the purpose of having a 144Hz monitor if I couldn't make full use of it. In that case I'll probably go with upgrading my CPU rather then going up to 1440p.

40 minutes ago, tkitch said:

you won't' consistently hit 144 on a 6600XT with that CPU.

You can absolutely game at 1440 on it, but it won't be that high a FPS. 

Do you think upgrading to a 5600X and staying at 1080p would be more worthwhile then? I think it would definitely allow me to hit 144 or more in most games 

1 minute ago, JustinHunter said:

Do you think upgrading to a 5600X and staying at 1080p would be more worthwhile then? I think it would definitely allow me to hit 144 or more in most games 

the 144 fps will depend very very heavily on each game.

Obviously 1080 will get you much higher framerates, but if you want a higher res?  You do have to suck it up eventually.

4 minutes ago, tkitch said:

the 144 fps will depend very very heavily on each game.

Obviously 1080 will get you much higher framerates, but if you want a higher res?  You do have to suck it up eventually.

That is true, but my thinking is going up to 1440p would put me farther away from hitting 144 which defeats the purpose of having a high refresh rate monitor. Upgrading to a 5600x would put me close to or at 144 at 1080p which is what i will probably go with 

Just now, JustinHunter said:

That is true, but my thinking is going up to 1440p would put me farther away from hitting 144 which defeats the purpose of having a high refresh rate monitor. Upgrading to a 5600x would put me close to or at 144 at 1080p which is what i will probably go with 

There's more to a higher-res screen than just FPS.

You also get a better desktop experience, and splitscreening a 1440p screen is dramatically nicer than 1080.

23 hours ago, JustinHunter said:

I think I would probably want 144 more, it would pretty much defeat the purpose of having a 144Hz monitor if I couldn't make full use of it. In that case I'll probably go with upgrading my CPU rather then going up to 1440p.

WEll you can react in lighter games, I'm talking about stuff like the new god of war game, dying light 2, cyberpunk. csgo fps will still be in the stratosphere. Medium settings in many games will be able to push a decent framerate. Maybe not 144, but 90 is possible.

Test it with virtual suepr resolution.

Also, does your current cpu let you hit the frames you want currently? Because 1440p won't be more intensive on your processor.

On 2/9/2022 at 12:09 PM, gamagama69 said:

WEll you can react in lighter games, I'm talking about stuff like the new god of war game, dying light 2, cyberpunk. csgo fps will still be in the stratosphere. Medium settings in many games will be able to push a decent framerate. Maybe not 144, but 90 is possible.

Test it with virtual suepr resolution.

Also, does your current cpu let you hit the frames you want currently? Because 1440p won't be more intensive on your processor.

Yeah I think hitting 90+ fps would be the most ideal, I'm not obsessed with hitting at least 144 or more. Currently I'm hitting 90-100+ fps on cyberpunk 2077 on mostly high settings. But i'm noticing a lot of occasional stutters and microstutters when I'm playing games. I think upgrading to a 5600x will be the right move for me because it will make games alot smoother and it'll increase my average FPS quite a bit in most games. 

8 minutes ago, JustinHunter said:

Yeah I think hitting 90+ fps would be the most ideal, I'm not obsessed with hitting at least 144 or more. Currently I'm hitting 90-100+ fps on cyberpunk 2077 on mostly high settings. But i'm noticing a lot of occasional stutters and microstutters when I'm playing games. I think upgrading to a 5600x will be the right move for me because it will make games alot smoother and it'll increase my average FPS quite a bit in most games. 

You can check your per core usage with something like msi afterburner, and overlay it onto your screen. I would do that before getting a cpu upgrade