New build, 2 identical M.2, how to know where to install Windows?

Des.nb

Hi all,

I recently built my new pc and during Windows setup I have to choose where to install Windows: Disk 0 or DIsk1. 

How do I know which one to choose?

I have 2 identical M.2 drives (Western Digital SN850) installed on my motherboard (Asus Dark Hero). 

As far as I understand the top M.2 slot is faster, but how do I know if it's disk 0 or 1?

In the first picture you can see that the bios detects both as 1 and 2. According to the manual 1 is the top slot.

Any advice?

Thanks!

m.2.jpg

m.2-2.JPG

M.2_1 is the top slot yes. It is recommended to disconnect all other storage than the one you are installing Windows to. Sometimes the installer can throw boot files on another drive which may cause problems in the future. Or you can just RAID them.

You wouldn't notice the difference in terms of windows operations, and file transfer speeds would also have a negligible difference as well. I would not stress which specific drive windows is installed on and as @aDoomGuysaid, don't have both drives inside the PC when you install windows, just one.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Much appreciated, I removed the bottom M.2 drive and installed Windows, then reinstalled the second drive.

Thankfully it was under the below the GPU, so access was rather easy.

Thanks