Switch or hub?

BlueAria1146
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

A hub is a stupid device, it knows nothing and vomits data everywhere, you're limited (in the real world) to 100Mbps tops if you can find one. A switch is smart, it knows where to send data and can do much more (your home compact switch is generally gigabit) and doesn't vomit everything everywhere all the time.

Get a switch

I'm planning to have 2 systems, a NAS and a gaming pc, in the same room, I would like both of them to be connected to the router, in another room by ethernet, but running 2 lines doesn't seem to be the best option. I am confused on what I should use to connect them. I would like to have both systems connected to each other and to the router for internet and both systems need to function if the other system is powered down. A switch seems to be what I need but for the life of me I can't seem to find out for sure would I need a hub to get what I want?

A hub is a stupid device, it knows nothing and vomits data everywhere, you're limited (in the real world) to 100Mbps tops if you can find one. A switch is smart, it knows where to send data and can do much more (your home compact switch is generally gigabit) and doesn't vomit everything everywhere all the time.

Get a switch

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Hell can you even buy a hub these days? I can't understand where they'd be useful seeing as how a basic 5-port Gigabit switch is $30?

Thanks so much, it's only like a $20 purchase but I hate to waste the money buying something that doesn't work for what I need.

Just now, rickeo said:

Hell can you even buy a hub these days? I can't understand where they'd be useful seeing as how a basic 5-port Gigabit switch is $30?

Maybe that's why I was confused there wasn't much information about them but they seem to get mentioned often 

A hub is an older technology, with less "brains".

When a hub receives data on one of its ports, it automatically sends that data through all the other ports, without a care in the world, relying on the ethernet cards at the end of the cables to simply "drop" (ignore) the data that's not meant for them.

So if you have 3 computers connected to a hub, and first computer transfers a file to second computer, the third computer's connection is also slowed down because it also receives the file that's not meant for him, and the ethernet card simply ignores the incoming data.

A network switch is smarter, it can determine and memorize the IP addresses of computers connected to each port, and when some data comes into the switch, the switch looks at who's meant to receive the data and only sends the data to the ethernet port where the switch last found that computer. 

So first computer could send a file to the second computer and the switch chip will simply pass the data between the two ethernet ports, while the third computer isn't even aware the other two computers are exchanging data and has the full port bandwidth available for use.

4 minutes ago, BlueAria1146 said:

Maybe that's why I was confused there wasn't much information about them but they seem to get mentioned often 

It could just be people calling switches "hubs", because they look similar and do the same job (for all outward appearances).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

It could just be people calling switches "hubs", because they look similar and do the same job (for all outward appearances).

Yup, and a lot of Amazon listings just put both names in the product listing even though they are selling switches.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: