Fast roaming support on TP link Omada EAP235-Wall

Hi,

I wanted to know whether fast roaming feature is available on the Tp link Omada EAP235-Wall Access point. The Omada controller lists option to enable fast option within the software, however, this fast roaming feature is not listed for the wall variant access point when compared with the ceiling one (https://www.tp-link.com/in/compare/?type=smb&typeId=5747&productIds=23151%2C41093).

I wanted to know if I can put multiple EAP235-Wall access points in strategic positions on every floor such that all floors get wifi coverage. Each access point will be connected via ethernet which will be hosted on a single network. Further, I want every access point to have the same SSID and password. I wanted to know if I can seamlessly move throughout the house and get unbroken internet experience? Will the connection of my phone/laptop automatically shift to the best access point available? In other words, can a network of multiple Tp-Link EAP 235 Wall be used as a substitute to Ubiquiti equipment?

Thanks

EAP 225 Ceiling vs EAP 235 Wall.png

Enable fast roaming in Omada controller.png

Re-uploading pictures as it was uploaded with a lot of whitespace.

1598103453_EAP225CeilingvsEAP235Wall.thumb.png.c2df943714f2c5d0c4cb0c88f6a5ea7d.png2042111269_EnablefastroaminginOmadacontroller.thumb.png.6b0978ce362a1a0839218cfb9d82075e.png

1 hour ago, HelloIN said:

I wanted to know whether fast roaming feature is available on the Tp link Omada EAP235-Wall Access point.

Not really.

We've gone through this before. These in-wall units are not meant for the setup you have in mind, so it makes sense that the feature isn't supported.

However, that's not too say you can't still achieve a similar effect. Roaming is still heavily dependent on the client, but since the SDN isn't handling it, you'll have to do a lot of tuning in the antenna to get it the way you like.

Are you restricted to Omada or UniFi? Have you given any thought to using a mesh system with wired backhaul since you have the ethernet ports to support it?

I have indeed the ethernet ports to install multiple access points. can you please suggest some alternatives to Omada and unifi which will provide me with wired back haul. 

thanks

9 hours ago, HelloIN said:

I have indeed the ethernet ports to install multiple access points. can you please suggest some alternatives to Omada and unifi which will provide me with wired back haul. 

thanks

Almost all quality mesh systems with an ethernet port will allow you to use them with a wired backhaul.

There seems to be good experiences from Google/Nest, Asus (AiMesh) and Orbi.

But may I ask: Why are you not going with proper ceiling-mounted APs on an SDN? Not saying that you can’t achieve the same thing with mesh units running in AP mode and wired backhaul. Just curious.

the thing is my electric contractor was adamant on putting ethernet cables on the wall only for access points to be installed. now since the cable has been put, I'll have to install access points on the wall. further, I'm restricted to use poe access points only since there aren't power switches nearby the lan ports. 

I wanted to ask, can I install EAP225 Ceiling variant on the wall, it suffices all my needs. I'm okay if some performance is lost.. it's a home network anyway and I don't need 100% out of the ap

3 hours ago, HelloIN said:

the thing is my electric contractor was adamant on putting ethernet cables on the wall only for access points to be installed. now since the cable has been put, I'll have to install access points on the wall. further, I'm restricted to use poe access points only since there aren't power switches nearby the lan ports. 

I wanted to ask, can I install EAP225 Ceiling variant on the wall, it suffices all my needs. I'm okay if some performance is lost.. it's a home network anyway and I don't need 100% out of the ap

The installation instructions specifically mention wall mounting as an option.

image.png.1a2693a61df25736ad8211b657510aef.png

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7