No Power/Post even though power LED on motherboard lights up & PSU works via paperclip

NaClKnight

Assembling some old parts into a "new" rig.

CPU: i5-4430

MB: Asus H87M-E (BIOS sticker says 0904)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (4GB x 2)

PSU: EVGA 700BQ

I'm trying to assemble some old parts into a working build, but I've run into some trouble. The power indicator LED on the MB turns on when the PSU is powered on. I took this as a good sign. However, after assembling RAM, CPU, cooler, MB, PSU, and then pushing the power switch, nothing happens. No fans, no POST beep, no error code from the speaker.

I've tried removing and reseating the CPU, RAM, and PSU cables (ATX and EPS) 2-3 times each

I've tried different RAM in different locations to no effect.

The PSU passed the paperclip/bypass test (i.e. the PSU fan spins) 

The online guide for the MB says that this CPU only requires BIOS revision 0304, so the version on the sticker (0904) should be fine.

The MB was purchased refurbished, but I'm beginning to suspect that the CPU is the issue here, especially since the green power/status LED on the MB turns on.

At this point I'm mostly looking for someone to check my steps and provide a sanity check or point out something I could have missed. 

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

1 hour ago, NaClKnight said:

Assembling some old parts into a "new" rig.

CPU: i5-4430

MB: Asus H87M-E (BIOS sticker says 0904)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (4GB x 2)

PSU: EVGA 700BQ

I'm trying to assemble some old parts into a working build, but I've run into some trouble. The power indicator LED on the MB turns on when the PSU is powered on. I took this as a good sign. However, after assembling RAM, CPU, cooler, MB, PSU, and then pushing the power switch, nothing happens. No fans, no POST beep, no error code from the speaker.

I've tried removing and reseating the CPU, RAM, and PSU cables (ATX and EPS) 2-3 times each

I've tried different RAM in different locations to no effect.

The PSU passed the paperclip/bypass test (i.e. the PSU fan spins) 

The online guide for the MB says that this CPU only requires BIOS revision 0304, so the version on the sticker (0904) should be fine.

The MB was purchased refurbished, but I'm beginning to suspect that the CPU is the issue here, especially since the green power/status LED on the MB turns on.

At this point I'm mostly looking for someone to check my steps and provide a sanity check or point out something I could have missed. 

It sounds a lot like the Issue I am currently having as well. What I have had happen in the past is power switches break. Maybe try shorting the power pins with a screwdriver to see if that does the trick? Also make sure your panel connectors are all in the right spot. Check your manual to make sure you have everything correct

13 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

It sounds a lot like the Issue I am currently having as well. What I have had happen in the past is power switches break. Maybe try shorting the power pins with a screwdriver to see if that does the trick?

that's a good idea. I tried shorting the power switch pins on the MB, as well as using 2 different switches, all to no avail. 

Salt SYSTEMs:

SYSTEM-Infinity+1(Centerpiece) -- Ryzen 5600X + RX 6800 XT + Galahad 360 + 32GB + Thermaltake P3

SYSTEM-Embrace (Portable) --Ryzen 5600 + RX 5700 XT + Galahad 240 + 16GB + Hyte Revolt 3

7 hours ago, NaClKnight said:

that's a good idea. I tried shorting the power switch pins on the MB, as well as using 2 different switches, all to no avail. 

So first guess is failing MB as it is a refurb (but you are totally right could be CPU)

If I may ask just to verify.

Did you make sure to check what RAM slot your MB needs to have populated to start POST correct? As a specific one must be populated.

And you tried several DIMMs in that slot?

Have you verified that all you PSU cables on the MB side and the PSU side are very secure? 
And have you double checked you used the correct cables? Even if certain ones fit, you should use the CPU cables only for the CPU pins etc.

2 hours ago, Frizz said:

So first guess is failing MB as it is a refurb (but you are totally right could be CPU)

If I may ask just to verify.

Did you make sure to check what RAM slot your MB needs to have populated to start POST correct? As a specific one must be populated.

And you tried several DIMMs in that slot?

Have you verified that all you PSU cables on the MB side and the PSU side are very secure? 
And have you double checked you used the correct cables? Even if certain ones fit, you should use the CPU cables only for the CPU pins etc.

Thanks for the suggestions

To confirm, I found some spare parts from my wife's old build and used those to check.

The exact same thing happens on the old Asus Z87-A MB: no fans, no POST beep, no speaker screams, regardless of where the RAM is slotted. 

That's two different MBs exhibiting the same behavior with this CPU.

The user guide does not specify which slot must be populated for POST, but I've tried all four positions, with a single RAM stick. I have not tried different DIMMs yet but can do so if I can find other ones lying around. 

I've double checked the cables, for security, including ensuring that it's an EPS, not a PCIE cable plugged into the 8 pin connector near the CPU. 

Salt SYSTEMs:

40 minutes ago, NaClKnight said:

Thanks for the suggestions

To confirm, I found some spare parts from my wife's old build and used those to check.

The exact same thing happens on the old Asus Z87-A MB: no fans, no POST beep, no speaker screams, regardless of where the RAM is slotted. 

That's two different MBs exhibiting the same behavior with this CPU.

The user guide does not specify which slot must be populated for POST, but I've tried all four positions, with a single RAM stick. I have not tried different DIMMs yet but can do so if I can find other ones lying around. 

I've double checked the cables, for security, including ensuring that it's an EPS, not a PCIE cable plugged into the 8 pin connector near the CPU. 

Cool yeah you are on the right track then.

Ill mention even though I highly doubt it is the problem (and your other MB may have used different fans)

Even a fan *can* cause a no power on. Though incredibly rare.

I always check everything even if it doesn't seem to be a problem. 
But if even different RAM does not work yeah think you have your answer

4 hours ago, Frizz said:

Cool yeah you are on the right track then.

Ill mention even though I highly doubt it is the problem (and your other MB may have used different fans)

Even a fan *can* cause a no power on. Though incredibly rare.

I always check everything even if it doesn't seem to be a problem. 
But if even different RAM does not work yeah think you have your answer

Sooooo...

I bought a couple of cheap, old, used CPUs from a local, and both of them (4570S, 4590) booted in this MB. From experimentation, it looks like either the B2 or A2 slot need to be populated for it to boot, and all four of the RAM DIMMs were read by the system.

For all intents and purposes, I 'm ready to close the book on this as a bad CPU. The build POSTed successfully, I've updated the BIOS, swapped to the 4590, and POSTed/Booted into Windows. 

TLDR:

So far so good after swapping to a new CPU

Salt SYSTEMs: