HDMI, Dp, Freesync & G-sync.

Eighjan

I don't know why, but something's stuck in my head that, for optimum performance:

Freesync needs Displayport; G-sync needs HDMI

This relates to a cpl. of builds I'm planning, one of which is intended to be an (Intel/)RTX build.

Please can someone point me to a source that clarifies this, once and for all.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

GSync doesn't need HDMI. It works with DP as well. 

Free Sync (new) also works with both. 

Actually both originally worked only with DP and the new versions support HDMI. 

Do things change when you factor in the G-sync "hardware", rather than just 'compatibility'?

... or does that just make the choice more expensive?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

7 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Do things change when you factor in the G-sync "hardware", rather than just 'compatibility'?

G-Sync was originally designed for DisplayPort. G-Sync over HDMI is a very recent addition and is only supported on a few displays.

11 hours ago, Eighjan said:

Well here is what I do know. For Gsync, in the past you needed a Gsync display which is more expensive. However now you can use Gsync with AMD Freesync (but it must be Freesync Premium?). My Freesync Premium display runs nicely with Gsync on my RTX 2060S with DisplayPort. Freesync monitors are generally the cheaper alternative.

I BELIEVE that if you got hardware the other way around (AMD GPU and Gsync monitor) that it will too work.

14 hours ago, Glenwing said:

G-Sync was originally designed for DisplayPort.

That may explain why Nvidia reference/Founders cards - well; many graphics cards, for that matter - have as many DisplayPort sockets as they do.

Was HDMI adopted for PC monitors - as an alternative/replacement for DVI - because it existed in the TV space...?

Is HDMI realistically there for those who choose to connect their PC to displays "not originally intended for PC use"... or sophisticated entertainment setups?

Something tells me that DisplayPort is a newer standard than HDMI (standard numbers), too...

WHY NOT...?!