Which build will fit my needs and budget better?

rastalien

Budget (including currency): 1200 to 1500 euro.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly for gaming 4k@120hz on LG C1 Oled for some fun Fifa, NFS, MK11 etc.. and 1080p@144hz for some competitive FPS games or MMOs like GW2 / WOW / BDO
and probably drawing (photoshop) and video editing (from gameplay for youtube).

Other details i am running this build for about 7 years now.
i7 4790 non K with stock cooler 
DDR3 Adata 1600mhz 2x4gb
PSU Fortron 750w Bronze
SSD 120gb Adata ~500/500 speeds + 1tb HDD
GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming

My idea is to build a new PC and use my old Graphincs till new series come out and hopefully a bit normalized prices.
I will probably aim for RTX4070 / 4070TI
I've made my research as far as my knowledge allowes and ended up with these builds, but can't chose the EXACT models yet.

I will post builds/components with the prices i could find them in my country, so you could better tell which is worth it 🙂

Build #1
CASE: Lian LI Lancool II Mesh C Performance - 100 euro.
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z690 UD DDR5 - 200 euro.
PSU: 
Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 1000W Gold - 170 euro.
CPU: i7 12700kf - 440 euro.
CPU COOLER: 
Noctua NH-D15 chrome Black - 100 euro.
MEMORY: 
Kingston 2x16GB DDR5 5200MHz CL40  - 350 euro.
SSD: 
Samsung 980 PRO 1TB - 180 euro.
Total = 1540 euro.

Build #2 "budget"

CASE: Lian LI Lancool II Mesh C Performance - 100 euro.

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z690 UD DDR5 - 200 euro.

PSU: Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 850W Gold - 130 euro.
CPU: 
i5 12600KF - 300 euro.
CPU COOLER: 
Scythe Fuma 2 120mm - 80 euro.
MEMORY: 
Kingston 2x16GB DDR5 4800Mhz CL38 - 320 euro.
SSD: 
Samsung EVO Plus 970 1TB  - 130 euro.
Total = 1260 euro.

1.Which PSU will be more suitable IF i chose to overclock someday with the rummored more power demanding RTX 4000 Series (400w)?
2.For the CPU i'm wondering between all of the 12600 and 12700 models (F / KF / K) paired with Scythe Fuma2 or NH-D15 (or you could suggest something 🙂 Air Cooler preferable).
3. Which RAM Memory should i go if i chose to overclock? Is the 5200mhz CL40 better or I have to even go for another model/brand?
Also if you have any other models in mind you are more than welcome to share your knowledge with me 🙂
As far as i could compare these 2 builds.. 1 is about ~20% more expensive and by the benchmarks i've watched have roughly the same or lower% fps increase in games ~5 - 15%.
So.. i'm not much into overclocking since im concerned of lowering the lifespan of my PC.. BUT When i end up building this new PC i will be using it (if its fine ofc) probably about 5-7 years again, and I'm not looking only for min maxing on FPS but also a bit future proof build.
I will be very thankful for any advice, because i cant decide what is really worth it and what is more for hobbyist Overclockers.

Thanks in advance!

Your biggest mistake in this build is DDR5, That DDR5 is garbage, It's slower than moderd DDR4 RAM sticks, Yet costs more than two times of price. DDR5 is simply waste of money and you should not get it. You are not future prooging build with DDR5 if that's what you think, You are spending stupidly high amount in memory, That you'll have to replace later to get similar performance as current gen DDR4 can give you. If you think you will replace it faster DDR5 RAM in future to have better performance than DDR4, You are mistaken, Because those motherboards won't support faster DDR5 modules that are supposed to come out later, SO you'll waste money now and you'll still have to replace your motherboard if you'll need faster RAM.

Get 12700K and DDR4 motherboard with DDR4 RAM, Ideally 3600MHz CL16.

For a cooler, Fuma 2 is a great cooler, But 80 euros is too much for it,  DH 15 for only 20 euros more is obvious choice, U can also have a look at be quiet darck rock 4(about 60-70 euros) darck rock pro 4(about 80 euros) or Depcool Assasian III (About 80 euros).

Other parts are mostly good, Get 1000W PSU if u plan to get 3090 or similar GPU, get 850W if you plan getting lower end card.

@Dr0idGh0sTIn my country DDR4 3600mhz CL16 is not that much cheaper as you said 2-3 times 🙂 Here in Bulgaria 2x16 DDR4 3600 cl16 is worth 200+ euro. Also a Z-motherboard DDR4 1700 socket costs about the same as the DDr5 version 😄 I'm not really in a hurry for this build, i believe the best move will be to wait atleast 1+ month to see if something new will be stocked up here 🙄

31 minutes ago, rastalien said:

@Dr0idGh0sTIn my country DDR4 3600mhz CL16 is not that much cheaper as you said 2-3 times 🙂 Here in Bulgaria 2x16 DDR4 3600 cl16 is worth 200+ euro. Also a Z-motherboard DDR4 1700 socket costs about the same as the DDr5 version 😄 I'm not really in a hurry for this build, i believe the best move will be to wait atleast 1+ month to see if something new will be stocked up here 🙄

The thing is, DDR5 is just too new to be worth it right now. In a few years it might be good, but right now it's just not. For now just get DDR4, you'll get better performance.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:49 PM, rastalien said:

Than get a DDR4 3200MHz CL16 and get I7 12700K instead of I5, This will perform much better than your selected DDR5. Or just save money, 3200MHz CL16 performs better than 4800MHz CL38, You are saving money and getting better performance same time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Understood 😁 The ram should be ddr4, BUT if I chose 4000 cl18 64gb what motherboard I should go for? Is it worth it even going to these speeds?

I've heard many complaints about z690 boards and xmp issues? What MB could you recommend (I'm a bit allergic to MSI)?

The other option is 3200 cl16 or cl14, will they run without xmp enabled on these speeds if I go with the 12700k?

About the ram capacity.. my idea is to get this much 64gb so I could load even 2 games same time and 10++++ chrome tabs, streaming and/or video editing. And also be a bit future proof. I want to build this and just use it for about 5+ years without thinking of any upgrades. Yes I know future proofing is a myth in the PC world since technologies and games/applications evolve every minute, but still. 😁

Also I'm leaning to an AIO cooler..

Arctic freezer ii 280, what I should know about liquid cooling, never done that? Is there any special maintenance I should deal with? I've been scared of liquid, that it's dangerous and could even kill your build if not installed/maintained properly?

8 hours ago, rastalien said:

About the ram capacity.. my idea is to get this much 64gb so I could load even 2 games same time and 10++++ chrome tabs, streaming and/or video editing

Sounds like you need 128 GB of ram 😄 

I want to build this and just use it for about 5+ years without thinking of any upgrades. Yes I know future proofing is a myth in the PC world since technologies and games/applications evolve every minute, but still.

Takes one game to ruin this plan XD. Go with RTX 3090 and cross your fingers

Arctic freezer ii 280, what I should know about liquid cooling, never done that? Is there any special maintenance I should deal with? I've been scared of liquid, that it's dangerous and could even kill your build if not installed/maintained properly?

No not really, might need to top up fluid after a while. There should be some youtube videos about this.