What is a Better Value Right Now for Gaming? The i5 10400F or the Ryzen 5 2600?

Ykcud

Disclaimer! I am not actually planning to purchase these right now. This is partly a question for fun for the community and maybe some research down the road.

Let me give you a scenario: Lets say you have some parts you gathered over the last few years. Most of them you got as hand me downs and some from generous friends. You know they are in good condition and working. They are the following:

Capture.PNG.41628d35ac3c2c9ec2ea1bcb6ea29928.PNG

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zvq9Tn

Now you want to primarily game on this system. Would you go “all out” and spend about $220 for an i5 10400F with a cheap B560 motherboard or would you rather go for the Ryzen 5 2600 with a cheap B450 board for about $190 or maybe even less.

This is the price for those on eBay that I found recently. I would have included Aliexpress prices, but their search was down at the time of writing. Likely this would have resulted in the CPU being cheaper for Ryzen in my experience. I am not sure about the Intel one.

All in all, what do you think the best value is right now? If you ask me, I think for gaming the 10400F is not too bad right now. Its relatively cheap and a respectable chip and motherboard combination. In fact the CPU at the time of writing was slightly less than the 2600. The motherboard however was a bit pricier and curiously the B560 was a tad cheaper than the B460 boards (which is why I included a B560 instead of a B460 board).

If you want, feel free to change up the scenario a bit if you (for example) do more production than gaming.

What is your total budget? Also the 2600 is not in competition with a 10400f but price wise they might be. I'll make a build with the best options for you if you can provide a budget. As in your current parts list the storage situation is actually not good for games today.

Pure blanket statement wise the 10400f is better but usually a board that isn't absolute crap costs a bit more making it a more expensive combo and the ryzen 3600 often then becomes the next cheaper part with it's b450 board combo. 190 and 220 is basically new price for the things you are talking about so you aren't getting a deal here. Also VERY important to state the board you are getting as a lot of cheap b560 boards limit performance of the i5's a decent bit. Same story with only a couple b450 boards.

Best value atm is 12100F + Asus Prime H610M-A D4.

The basic $95-$100 board above is sold out atm, and only the CSM version for $105 is available, and there's no stock of 12100F. But once they pop up again in few days/weeks that's your best value ($100 board + $100 cpu).

12100F performs the same/better as 11400F on any resolution and with any gpu, and in the vast majority of games. In the few where it's slightly behind it's a very small margin.

Just now, Dogzilla07 said:

Best value atm is 12100F + Asus Prime H610M-A D4.

The basic $95-$100 board above is sold out atm, and only the CSM version for $105 is available, and there's no stock of 12100F. But once they pop up again in few days/weeks that's your best value ($100 board + $100 cpu).

What makes you think that the i3 12100F is going to be available for $100 this generation? It's the 3300X all over again. Even when it is in stock, it's only slightly cheaper than the MSRP of the part above it. In practice, the 12100F is a $170 part, which is bad value considering the 12400F is, in practice, a $210 part.

The only good thing about the 12100F launch is that it caused the 10100F and 10105F to finally drop to their $85-95 price. So while we don't have an amazing value $100 current gen CPU for the first time in years, we do have a pair of good value sub-$100 CPUs from the previous generation that offer the same performance in most realistic gaming situations when paired with a low-end or mid-range card.

1 minute ago, Dogzilla07 said:

@YoungBladeit's available in europe for 98 eur

Okay? Europe also got some retail 4000 series APUs, but they never became available in the US. The two markets are different.

@YoungBladeNot in this way, you mentioned 3300x, and I used the EU price+availability as comparison. Additionally the reason for 3300x lack of availability are not comparable to 12100F. For the US market 12100F is gonna be available at $110-115 relatively soon. It's just that everything takes longer to arrive to US then EU due to shipping delays. 

And $110-115 is a great price, it still makes it cheaper than all the other combinations mentioned in this thread for the same/faster performance.

1 hour ago, Dogzilla07 said:

@YoungBladeNot in this way, you mentioned 3300x, and I used the EU price+availability as comparison. Additionally the reason for 3300x lack of availability are not comparable to 12100F. For the US market 12100F is gonna be available at $110-115 relatively soon. It's just that everything takes longer to arrive to US then EU due to shipping delays. 

And $110-115 is a great price, it still makes it cheaper than all the other combinations mentioned in this thread for the same/faster performance.

I hope you're right, but if the last few years taught me anything, it's not to hope for budget CPU availability in the sub-$150 range. Whether the Pentium G4560, i3 8100, R3 2200G, Athlon 3000G, R5 1600AF, R3 3300X etc., they all sell out and/or get sold for scalper prices as soon as reviews come out and people know about them.

If I can get an i3 12100(F) + mATX mobo + 16GB RAM for under $250 in the next two months, I'll buy it and replace the dead mobo in my old i5 4440 system. It would be a worthy upgrade to bring the system back to life. But I don't expect it to happen.

@YoungBladePentium idk, it's highly likely G6900/G7400 are gonna be a nightmare to grab, but the 12100(F) should be fine. AMD has a problem with their stuff because chiplets don't scale well when u go small and cheap, so it doesn't pay off. 12100(F) is monolithic.

51 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If I can get an i3 12100(F) + mATX mobo + 16GB RAM for under $250 in the next two months

RAM is $53-$56 for the cheapest viable options, and $60 for the sweet spot. Motherboards are $100-$105 atm. So you're only waiting for the next shipment of 12100(F).

Though if u are going for 12100 with the integrated GPU it won't be under $125, and more like $140-$145. US having the longest shipping time of any developed country in the world atm, does not help xD

7 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

@YoungBladePentium idk, it's highly likely G6900/G7400 are gonna be a nightmare to grab, but the 12100(F) should be fine. AMD has a problem with their stuff because chiplets don't scale well when u go small and cheap, so it doesn't pay off. 12100(F) is monolithic.

I mentioned the Pentium G4560 specifically because it was a highly desirable part when it was released - it was the first modern Pentium with HT support for 2c/4t back when the i3 still was 2c/4t. It was supposed to be a $65 part, but it quickly sold out and then started to be sold for over $90, making it basically the same price as the i3 7100, and thus pointless. This was back in 2017.

I also mentioned it because it is not an AMD part. Also, the 2200G and 3000G are also monolithic chips - not everything AMD makes on the desktop uses chiplets.

My fear is that this pattern of excellent value budget parts being perpetually out of stock or overpriced, which has been the case for 5 years, will continue with the 12100.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

My fear is that this pattern of excellent value budget parts being perpetually out of stock or overpriced, which has been the case for 5 years, will continue with the 12100.

There's one more thing to take into account, most companies, and sellers, will intentionally not lower prices of new stuff, nor order larger quantities, until the old sell out, it's a very valid and often used business tactic.

@Ykcud @YoungBlade Walmart has the no-GPU 12100F avaliable for $117.5.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intel-BX8071512100F-Core-i3-12th-Gen-i3-12100F-Quad-core-4-Core-3-3GHz-Retail-Pack-Processor/876549698

MemoryC has G6900 (2 core - 2 thread) available for $83:

https://www.memoryc.com/38399-intel-celeron-g6900-3-4ghz-dual-core-lga-1700-cpu-desktop-processor-alder-lake.html?sscid=11k6_uo90q

Though the G6900 is not something I'd recommend outside of only microsoft office use, browsing and media watching xD.