M.2 NVME Toshiba 256GB Drive Corruption / Best External Doc to troubleshoot device

Scrimpynormal

Hey fellow geeks here is my situation:

I have a Lenovo T470 laptop that I love but unfortunately this morning when I came into the office the hard drive is showing corruption and I can only assume the drive will completely fail soon. Windows repair is completely unable to fix it. I tried doing a dirty windows install and that failed as well. So I have ordered a new Samsung 980 Pro 1TB as a bigger /better replacement. However  I am looking to see if I can do any data extraction or troubleshooting on the old drive. I unfortunately might have some items not backed up and would like to try to recover them.

My thought is to purchase a external dock so that I can try and troubleshoot the drive via USB-C on another system. What dock would you guys recommend. I started reading google reviews and holy shit. It is a complete shit show of bad docs that can corrupt, melt or cause a fire hazard so I could totally use some guidance here.  I feel with NVME becoming the standard they should have better troubleshooting tools for these types of drives. 

There is a way. A program called snapshot. Snapshot will take an image of your entire drive that you can then reinstall on a good drive, allowing you to recover the files you need. The good thing is with snapshot is if it detects bad sectors, it will just carry on salvaging. Be warned. A couple of bad sectors is ok but if you start running in to the hundreds, there's a good chance files will be damaged.

Thanks man this sounds like a good idea that was going to be my next question as to what tools should I use to interact with the data. Just need to figure out which dock to get.