Feeling frustrated - Laptop random shutdown

CoolKriss

I recently saw the episode where Linus's computer would shutdown randomly and realized that I was not alone.

My laptop (Lenovo Legion Y7000P-1060) keeps shutting down randomly.

It does not matter if am playing games, or browsing internet or having a call on MS Teams.

Solutions I tried : - 

1. Thought it might be the buggy Win 11. Formatted and installed Win 10. Still issue continued.

2. I installed core temp (software) to check if it was the temperature surge and saw that out of 6 cores, 3 of them would touch 90C at bootup. So I opened up the laptop (3 yrs old) and applied new thermal paste for CPU+GPU. Cleaned the fans while its open. Nothing changed, the temps are still touching 90C at bootup and the random shutdowns continued.

3. Check Linus's video and tried going to EventViewer to see if something stands out. Unfortunately every reboot was associated with a random new ERROR or Warning. No consistency there too.

I do use a laptop cooling pad and it still has no major impact on the temperatures. Attaching an image of my setup.

I have attached logs from Even Viewer also.

I really dont know what the issue is and it is kind of making me throw the laptop to the ground and jump on it.

Any help on this would be really really appreciated.

Thanks,

CoolKriss

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-25 at 9.12.46 AM.jpeg

Critical events.evtx

Nice set up!

I saw on Jaztwocents video about changing the thermal paste on laptops and he said one thing to keep in mind is even mounting pressure when screwing back down the heatsink on to the CPU and GPU. Those temps are pretty high but I would expect laptops to be hot but maybe not that hot. Make sure fans are spinning. If the CPU is 90C those fans should be blasting. Can you get into your bios?

2 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

Nice set up!

I saw on Jaztwocents video about changing the thermal paste on laptops and he said one thing to keep in mind is even mounting pressure when screwing back down the heatsink on to the CPU and GPU. Those temps are pretty high but I would expect laptops to be hot but maybe not that hot. Make sure fans are spinning. If the CPU is 90C those fans should be blasting. Can you get into your bios?

thank you for the quick response.

Yes, I did observe my mounting pressure on the screws and maintained it safely.

Yes, the fans are spinning. They do blast at the bootup, but then slowdown once the temps hit mid 40 to mid 50 ( in about a minute after bootup).

Yes, I should be able to get into BIOS.. any changes that I need to perform there ?? 

7 minutes ago, CoolKriss said:

thank you for the quick response.

Yes, I did observe my mounting pressure on the screws and maintained it safely.

Yes, the fans are spinning. They do blast at the bootup, but then slowdown once the temps hit mid 40 to mid 50 ( in about a minute after bootup).

Yes, I should be able to get into BIOS.. any changes that I need to perform there ?? 

So in that video you were looking at about Linus having those random shut downs. There is a section called "Turing off C-States in BIOS" go check that out and Anthony gives an explanation on what he is doing and why. That should help

13 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

So in that video you were looking at about Linus having those random shut downs. There is a section called "Turing off C-States in BIOS" go check that out and Anthony gives an explanation on what he is doing and why. That should help

oh yeah.. that point, I forgot to mention. There is no such thing in my BIOS settings. Looked for that already.

Attaching the BIOS screens for reference.

1496026649_WhatsAppImage2022-01-25at9_48.27AM(1).thumb.jpeg.a0503946a7a52c8897e75bcb3adca01c.jpeg1401175207_WhatsAppImage2022-01-25at9_48_28AM.thumb.jpeg.3391833883cb4d7989ee8180c9407dfc.jpeg1581922474_WhatsAppImage2022-01-25at9_48.28AM(1).thumb.jpeg.774ab303fbc91aa1a8f6927e17901179.jpeg140988184_WhatsAppImage2022-01-25at9_48_27AM.thumb.jpeg.bc452dabbd7e63b9707440a2957cc9d8.jpeg1147711490_WhatsAppImage2022-01-25at9_48.27AM(2).thumb.jpeg.802e3336eb8719e6ba2dec372d3dd171.jpeg

In the Exit tab maybe try the "load default settings" But before you do that I want to ask. How long has this been going on for? And have you done much in your "bios"? I don't want to accidently ruin anything so please do so at your own risk! But that's what I would start with. IDK if that will fix it though.

I have been facing this issue since mid Dec'21. 

Never had to make any changes in the BIOS so far. 

I dont think I will break anything if I set it to default. Will give it a shot and see.

49 minutes ago, FalseControl said:

In the Exit tab maybe try the "load default settings" But before you do that I want to ask. How long has this been going on for? And have you done much in your "bios"? I don't want to accidently ruin anything so please do so at your own risk! But that's what I would start with. IDK if that will fix it though.

I had a random shutdown like 5 mins ago 😞

Loaded the default settings in the BIOS.

Hoping it will help.

I again had a Random shutdown yesterday night. Was pissed to turn it on again and hence updating here now.

Am attaching all the WARNING logs in the windows logs here.

image.png.124d1d4c0c88604b9f2519117430263d.png

Pls help.

shutdown logs.evtx

Can no one help me 😞 .. is this really that big a problem that cant be solved in LTT ??

• 2 weeks later...