Intel larrabee knights Ferry working prototype!!!

erek

Pretty sure that's not the only working one out there like the ebay desc says. 

One of few, yes, but I have some ES GPUs and they aren't only 1 ever made

Also if this is promoting your listing... there's a section for that

13 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Pretty sure that's not the only working one out there like the ebay desc says. 

One of few, yes, but I have some ES GPUs and they aren't only 1 ever made

Also if this is promoting your listing... there's a section for that

yes, there's at least one other known in the wild.  it's in Russia

still missing drivers to run 3D.

not promoting the listing, but a follow up to the Linus Video, historical reference and awareness only

1 minute ago, erek said:

not promoting the listing, but a follow up to the Linus Video, historical reference and awareness only

Yeah, never really finished. 

Personally I have a HD 5870 engineering sample. Was used for power validation by an OEM. Digging through its BIOS and finding the extra sensors wired up on each VRM phase, and the current measure of the VDDCI, was incredibly cool. Engineering samples are insane, aren't they... 

good luck finding drivers for this thing. : p

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/25/2022 at 2:28 AM, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah, never really finished. 

Personally I have a HD 5870 engineering sample. Was used for power validation by an OEM. Digging through its BIOS and finding the extra sensors wired up on each VRM phase, and the current measure of the VDDCI, was incredibly cool. Engineering samples are insane, aren't they... 

I have a Larrabee/Knights Ferry card. It is the last revision of the Cherrypeak CRB (codename for the KNF boards) and doesn't have any display outputs (although it does have solder points for them). The card is essentially the same as Larrabee (i.e. it can be used to render a display via another display adapter)..

So how exactly did you manage to explore the BIOS of your HD 5870? I imagine the BIOS of your card is slightly different as there will be tools designed for AMD/Nvidia/ATI, but maybe I can at least get somewhere with it.
My card shows up as a coprocessor but it's only using a newer Intel MIC driver which doesn't properly work with it so it doesn't run properly.

1 hour ago, Binary_Nexus said:

I have a Larrabee/Knights Ferry card. It is the last revision of the Cherrypeak CRB (codename for the KNF boards) and doesn't have any display outputs (although it does have solder points for them). The card is essentially the same as Larrabee (i.e. it can be used to render a display via another display adapter)..

So how exactly did you manage to explore the BIOS of your HD 5870? I imagine the BIOS of your card is slightly different as there will be tools designed for AMD/Nvidia/ATI, but maybe I can at least get somewhere with it.
My card shows up as a coprocessor but it's only using a newer Intel MIC driver which doesn't properly work with it so it doesn't run properly.

Just looked at the version # and confirmed it was different than the retail models, then compared with the actual hardware. 

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Just looked at the version # and confirmed it was different than the retail models, then compared with the actual hardware. 

Oh fair enough

Yeah I think it's going to be a challenge for me to get this working properly lol

The KNF cards are very different from the production KNC cards

5 hours ago, erek said:

Yeah I saw that the bidding ended the other day.

Far too expensive for me to have even considered bidding.

I hope whomever has bought it can extract the Larrabee Customizable Video BIOS. I'd love to have a copy, both for archival purposes and for seeing if I can flash it to one of my KNF cards

I do have a Larrabee BIOS I extracted from mine. It's LRB Flash Image Version 1.0.0.1140, so a slightly later version. Different card revisions may have slightly different BIOSes but that would have to be explored if others are willing to try extracting their's.

17 hours ago, Binary_Nexus said:

I do have a Larrabee BIOS I extracted from mine. It's LRB Flash Image Version 1.0.0.1140, so a slightly later version. Different card revisions may have slightly different BIOSes but that would have to be explored if others are willing to try extracting their's.

image.png.3bf681493dcb23d0945bb78848fb12ec.png

On 1/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, erek said:

We're starting at KnightFerry trying to find a way to start Larrabee.😶

The auction price for this Larrabee on eBay I think is way too expensive...🥲

But I'm still looking forward to a collector who bought this Larrabee willing to talk to us about this card and try to get it started.😶

FC7F3E80-9038-4281-A8B1-AEBD891BE919.jpeg

9C1CD3B7-B9A7-4014-8052-DA0638969BC9.jpeg

1EC2C90B-30C6-45D4-BB18-6A005B7C82E0.png

F71F925C-F225-455A-8444-368C8405D6BC.png

20 minutes ago, Binary_Nexus said:

另外,我想知道Linus卡上的BIOS是什么...

That BIOS chip was damaged and we couldn't extract any data.

21 minutes ago, Binary_Nexus said:

Also, I wonder what the BIOS is on Linus' card...

And I asked TomForsyth and he said the BIOS of Larrabee and KNF are encrypted.

On 2/12/2022 at 6:54 PM, YuuKi-AnS said:

That BIOS chip was damaged and we couldn't extract any data.

Oh that's a real shame!

And regarding the BIOS encryption that's also a bummer. I knew that offloading programs to KNF required encryption but I didn't know the BIOS was encrypted too..

I used a USB BIOS flash/extractor tool to read the BIOS on my KNF and got the .bin file (which I guess is what you did too?). I may give the binary file a run through Ghidra to see if I can get anything else from it.

Interesting..
I've done some comparisons between my .bin file and yours and mine is slightly newer. It appears to actually be version 1.0.0.1159 and is 629 lines long compared to 1.0.0.1140 which is only 430 lines. Here's mine if anyone wants it to play with it. I may try and flash your older version to the card and see what happens. Though, my version does mention 1.0.0.1140 in it, but also mentions 1159. It's a bit of an odd one..

Intel KNF Rev F BIOS (v1.0.0.1159).Bin

On 2/10/2022 at 9:54 PM, YuuKi-AnS said:

So, I've tried flashing that old BIOS to my card and now I've got something different from what I had before.

Attempting to start the card with micctrl --start echos "The Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) coprocessor is starting. Error manipulating coprocessors: Error starting device."

So instead I tried resetting the card using micctrl -r and nothing happens so I view the status of the card with micctrl -s and it echos the error "mic0: reset failed (mode: N/A image: C:\Program Files\Intel\MPSS\filesystem\bzImage-knightscorner.bin)", which I have never had before. With BIOS 1.0.0.1159 it would issue the node 0 reset command to the card correctly but starting the card would cause it to time out after attempting to boot from the knightscorner bzimage. I feel like the older BIOS is either confusing the card or MPSS (or both), and as 1.0.0.1140 is shorter compared to 1.0.0.1159 there may have been some slightly different configs or bugs that the newer version corrected?

Which card did you get version 1.0.0.1140 from by the way? Was it Knights Ferry Rev. F or something earlier? Because if it's the same board revision as my card (Cherrypeak Fab. F) then that could mean that there are some smaller revisions for each major revision of A through F (i.e. small BIOS alterations, presence of debug ports, extra or fewer components, etc.), something which I hadn't really considered before.

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, Binary_Nexus said:

So, I've tried flashing that old BIOS to my card and now I've got something different from what I had before.

Attempting to start the card with micctrl --start echos "The Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) coprocessor is starting. Error manipulating coprocessors: Error starting device."

So instead I tried resetting the card using micctrl -r and nothing happens so I view the status of the card with micctrl -s and it echos the error "mic0: reset failed (mode: N/A image: C:\Program Files\Intel\MPSS\filesystem\bzImage-knightscorner.bin)", which I have never had before. With BIOS 1.0.0.1159 it would issue the node 0 reset command to the card correctly but starting the card would cause it to time out after attempting to boot from the knightscorner bzimage. I feel like the older BIOS is either confusing the card or MPSS (or both), and as 1.0.0.1140 is shorter compared to 1.0.0.1159 there may have been some slightly different configs or bugs that the newer version corrected?

Which card did you get version 1.0.0.1140 from by the way? Was it Knights Ferry Rev. F or something earlier? Because if it's the same board revision as my card (Cherrypeak Fab. F) then that could mean that there are some smaller revisions for each major revision of A through F (i.e. small BIOS alterations, presence of debug ports, extra or fewer components, etc.), something which I hadn't really considered before.

They all seem to be called CherryPeak CRB FAB:F…

85ACB047-5712-47AA-ABFF-1BEC0AF06B29.jpeg

EE22E4E3-D89D-4612-B742-39DC83E9EA97.jpeg

On 2/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, Binary_Nexus said:

GPU=ED

Board=Fab F HPC

GPU=D0

Number:*122928*