Looking for high-end openback headphones setup.

PopsicleHustler

Good evening, morning or whatever it is on your planet right now.

I'm currently looking to get a high end headset with AMP. My overall budget right now is 500 euros (For both headset and an amplifier).

Аfter some research I (Think) on getting open back headset since I'm always listening to music in a quite room where nobody can hear me.  Although good closed back is still an option if I can get something good that doesn't require an AMP. 

One option that looks interesting is Audio Technica ATH-R70X. I've seen that headset reviews YEARS ago, like 5-6 years ago they were on the market, and they still are. But I'm still considering my options.

Also need good AMP option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

The amp that I would recommend would be the Topping L30. It is cheap enough to be a great starter amp and can power most any single ended (non-balanced) headphone that you throw at it. I currently use it paired with Beyerdynamic DT 990 pros. If you want to splurge a bit more something like the Sennheiser HD 650 open back headphones would be a great option too and have a flatter response curved compared to the 990 pros.

Not sure what DAC you have since it wasn't mentioned but if you also need one for HiFI audio the Schiit Modi 3+ is a great place to start.

Main PC:

Spoiler

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4-3200 CL16, GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER STRIX GAMING, Case: NZXT H710, StorageSamsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB NVME, Sabrent Rocket 2 TB NVME, and WD Blue 4TB 2.5"PSU: NZXT C 850 W 80+ Gold

Home Network:

Spoiler

Router: Ubiquiti USG-3, APs: Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR and Ubiquiti USP-AC-PRO, Switches: Ubiquiti US-16-150W

We used to have this sticky about recommended gear. It's a little old but the headphone world doesn't spin that fast. 

You are also unlikely to need an Amp and I for one think dacs are way more important. You can look at the small shiit all on one thing, I forgot the name. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

15 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

We used to have this sticky about recommended gear. It's a little old but the headphone world doesn't spin that fast. 

You are also unlikely to need an Amp and I for one think dacs are way more important. You can look at the small shiit all on one thing, I forgot the name. 

Well you see, I'm so inexperienced in high end audio equipment that I don't really know what I need for high end headphones.  All I know for now is that I need something to power high empedance headphones. And my choice currently sits in ATH-R70X which does require additional power.

Also, it would be nice to hear from people with experience with both closed and open back headphones. I know basic difference of sound isolation and soud leak with open back. As for the bass, some people say that open back headphones have good bass, even though there is no seal like with closed back. So it would be nice to hear what others here think.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

There are so many way's to skin this cat.  Seeing that you're in the EU that takes out some go to options like schiit, mass drop and apos

I would split the price down the middle give or take and go half on headphones and half on dac and amp

Maybe a topping stack like L30 and E30

or an ifi zen dac

Then a good pair of headphones like the dt880

But honestly it's hard to recommend because you guys have access to different stuff and different prices.  Do you have a website you would be shopping on?  Also prices have gone up drastically in recent years

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

1 minute ago, Psittac said:

But honestly it's hard to recommend because you guys have access to different stuff and different prices.  Do you have a website you would be shopping on?  Also prices have gone up drastically in recent years

Amazon.co.uk Caseking.de and overclockers.co.uk are the main go to websites for PC wardware here.

21 minutes ago, Psittac said:

There are so many way's to skin this cat.  Seeing that you're in the EU that takes out some go to options like schiit, mass drop and apos

I would split the price down the middle give or take and go half on headphones and half on dac and amp

Maybe a topping stack like L30 and E30

or an ifi zen dac

Then a good pair of headphones like the dt880

I prefer open back headphones as my own bedroom isn't too noisy and I don't like talking with "ears covered" when using closed back.

I don't have many experience with variety of headphones, my only journey was with DT 770 pro, DT 990 pro and my current Sennheiser HD6XX. I honestly disliked DT 990 for music mainly because treble is too high and was too uncomfortable for long use. Now with HD 6XX it's my perfect endgame headphones as it has neutral sound except lacking in sub-bass, which I then cheated using EqualizerAPO to EQ a bit of bass. 

I have L30 + E30 in my bedroom, Loxjie D10 in living room and recently bought Loxjie A30 for a gift. It's quite difficult for me to recommend best headphone DAC and amp as there's so many to choose, so I usually prefer on price, looks and features, and avoiding that are BS or overpriced. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

1 hour ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Good evening, morning or whatever it is on your planet right now.

I'm currently looking to get a high end headset with AMP. My overall budget right now is 500 euros (For both headset and an amplifier).

Аfter some research I (Think) on getting open back headset since I'm always listening to music in a quite room where nobody can hear me.  Although good closed back is still an option if I can get something good that doesn't require an AMP. 

One option that looks interesting is Audio Technica ATH-R70X. I've seen that headset reviews YEARS ago, like 5-6 years ago they were on the market, and they still are. But I'm still considering my options.

Also need good AMP option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I like to reccomend the Lake People g103s to Europeans as a great amp option lots of power and sounds great. Lake people is a great European brand and is a perfect schiit substitute.  for headphones what kind of music are you looking to listen to?

15 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I like to reccomend the Lake People g103s to Europeans as a great amp option lots of power and sounds great. Lake people is a great European brand and is a perfect schiit substitute.  for headphones what kind of music are you looking to listen to?

Mainly rock. Mainly TFK and Skillet among many others.

I don't think you would be let down with the Sennheiser HD660s, everyone seems to love them and says they're better than the 600 and 650.  I have the 6xx (basically a 650) and absolutely love it.  Also seeing as it's rather easy to drive being 150ohm with 104db sensitivity you could get away with putting less of the cost into your dac/amp and get something like a fiio k5 pro or ifi zen dac 

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Mainly rock. Mainly TFK and Skillet among many others.

The R70x is a great headphone. Sounds close to the HD 650 but with better staging though I still do prefer the 650 a bit more. Other headphones u like that you could get along with the g103s is the hifiman Sundara or akg 712.