Own build - keeps getting random freezes / blue screens / black screens (after correctly working for 1.5 yrs or so..)

Hey Linus & folks

after building and stably running my first ryzen 7 2700x / b450m build, I have increasingly experienced random freezes and (unobservable) blue screens. The event log only registers something like "the previous shutdown was unexpected" (coming from manually off-switching the machine after the incident). The procedure seems to be always the same... doing some office work or video watching (everyday usage). Subsequently, the mouse hangs, system freezes and an impending restart is required. Yet, the machine looses any output signal, no video output anymore, no reaction to keys / mouse....

Ive undertaken various hardware switches, changed RAM and SSD which have been advised (by competent(?) IT support guys in the nearest store) to be the most probable cause. Ran memcheck 86 etc for several hours without errors. Rein-stalled OS on new SSD (Samsung 970EVO plus m.2, newly acquired), DISM / SFC .. no errors found, no effect- same procedure after a couple of weeks again!

Odd enough, this did not happen to me while gaming so far!
Dear community, any thoughts on that? - Power supply (Be Quiet System Power Supply B9 600W ), cable connections (really?), graphics card (kfa2 gtx 1660 oc), mainboard(asus prime b450-m-a II) ?

Many thanks for any tips in advance

At first glance it looks like PSU or MB issues. But what do you mean unobservable BSODs, can you not see the stop code?

You have to set your system to not restart if it does automatically after BSOD.

What happens after a CMOS clear?

Do you have the newest UEFI BIOS that supports your CPU? 
Make sure to upgrade after the CMOS clear as changing settings can make the firmware apply incorrectly.

Do you have the newest drivers for your mouse, keyboard, usb hubs etc?

Some people have usb devices or hubs do really weird things. What happens if/when you try a different mouse or keyboard if you can?

Are there any other peripheral devices you don't need plugged in? Remove those and try

2 hours ago, Frizz said:

At first glance it looks like PSU or MB issues. But what do you mean unobservable BSODs, can you not see the stop code?

You have to set your system to not restart if it does automatically after BSOD.

What happens after a CMOS clear?

Do you have the newest UEFI BIOS that supports your CPU? 
Make sure to upgrade after the CMOS clear as changing settings can make the firmware apply incorrectly.

Do you have the newest drivers for your mouse, keyboard, usb hubs etc?

Some people have usb devices or hubs do really weird things. What happens if/when you try a different mouse or keyboard if you can?

Are there any other peripheral devices you don't need plugged in? Remove those and try

Thanks for your reply!

ok i've changed the restart behaviour. i'll report on the bsod as soon as it occurs again (hopefully, i can see it anywayys, for my screen io seems to lose output signal).

I probably wouldn't dare cmos reset  / bios update myself. However bios was recently updated by my tech store (i 'll have to check for versions though. Might be that asus brought yet another update)

Drivers (chipset ) are regularly checked for updates and installed from the asus homepage. mouse, keyboard are plug-n- play (i keep the mouse updated via logitec g-hub). other peripherials only include a printer and a portable scanner. The printer is mostly plugged in, while the scanner is not. However, by observation the defects do not show any timewise correlations with these two.

Are there any means to check for psu / mb issues? what kind of issues would that be (ok maybe faulty psu - >which signs should i watch out for? I actually though of loose connections (modular psu) on either cpu or gpu, both seem to be fitting and firmly applied)
Could it also be the graphics card (tech store said, generally not likely - as said they've hinted me towards faulty ram or ssd, both replaced)

eventlog.PNG

12 minutes ago, Sequitar said:

Thanks for your reply!

ok i've changed the restart behaviour. i'll report on the bsod as soon as it occurs again (hopefully, i can see it anywayys, for my screen io seems to lose output signal).

I probably wouldn't dare cmos reset  / bios update myself. However bios was recently updated by my tech store (i 'll have to check for versions though. Might be that asus brought yet another update)

Drivers (chipset ) are regularly checked for updates and installed from the asus homepage. mouse, keyboard are plug-n- play (i keep the mouse updated via logitec g-hub). other peripherials only include a printer and a portable scanner. The printer is mostly plugged in, while the scanner is not. However, by observation the defects do not show any timewise correlations with these two.

Are there any means to check for psu / mb issues? what kind of issues would that be (ok maybe faulty psu - >which signs should i watch out for? I actually though of loose connections (modular psu) on either cpu or gpu, both seem to be fitting and firmly applied)
Could it also be the graphics card (tech store said, generally not likely - as said they've hinted me towards faulty ram or ssd, both replaced)

eventlog.PNG

Bios is not up to date. (expected version 3211, current 3202)

1 hour ago, Sequitar said:

Bios is not up to date. (expected version 3211, current 3202)

Look up if your motherboard supports BIOS flashback. If so you really have nothing to worry about as long as you have a USB drive.

I know BIOS upgrades get a bad rep, but unless there was already a defect in the chip most NAND flash BIOS chips can support 100,000 write cycles. And BIOS flashback allows you to reflash even on a corrupt BIOS. Seriously very low chance of something failing.

But this is why we need that BSOD stop code, it would give us much more info on the issue occurring. While I am thinking of it, try disabling C states in the BIOS, it can give better CPU stability during light loads.

As far as testing the PSU, you can short a 12V pin to a ground pin with a paperclip (look it up). But that only shows that it works, doesn't show how clean the power is getting to your system. You kinda have to figure out by intuition/ narrowing down the issue. 

To test the GPU, you need an APU or another GPU to see if the issue still happens.

So you see why I try everything else first, as testing the MB, PSU and GPU can be a pain and not do-able for most