Trouble with arc connection

LangeDraak

Hello y'all,

Can you maybe help me? I've got a new tv (finally!!) that supports ARC. It's the Samsung 50Q60a and I want to connect it to my Samsung HTE5200. Both devices support ARC but I can't manage to get the audio from my TV to play from my home cinema system.

Greetings Leon

after looking at your specs and manual on Samsung HTE5200. it does not support arc.
youll have to use the spdif (optical connection)

index.jpg

19 minutes ago, circeseye said:

after looking at your specs and manual on Samsung HTE5200. it does not support arc.
youll have to use the spdif (optical connection)

index.jpg

Yeah I didn't spot ARC on the back of the device either. But it does allow me to turn ARC on/auto/off in te settings though. Through the optical wire it won't turn on the HTE5200 althought the 50q60a does a power test when I set up the remote of the 50q60a.

24 minutes ago, LangeDraak said:

Through the optical wire it won't turn on the HTE5200 althought the 50q60a does a power test when I set up the remote of the 50q60a.

HDMI can do that, because of CEC. I don't think optical can send anything other than sound.

Its manual does seem to imply the thing has ARC support. Have you turned on ARC (and Anynet+ / CEC) in the TV's settings as well? If it has multiple HDMI ports, not all of them may support ARC either. Look for the one labeled with it specifically.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

33 minutes ago, LangeDraak said:

Yeah I didn't spot ARC on the back of the device either. But it does allow me to turn ARC on/auto/off in te settings though. Through the optical wire it won't turn on the HTE5200 althought the 50q60a does a power test when I set up the remote of the 50q60a.

damn they really hid it having arc. specs say no, but ONLY one block on page 55 in manual say yes.
it is old "arc" where tv is "earc" old arc can be a real 'pita' to get working right sometimes. tikker is right make sure your hdmi is in the right slots. and tv audio is set to arc.
if that dont work try a different hdmi cable. it could be bad

18 minutes ago, tikker said:

HDMI can do that, because of CEC. I don't think optical can send anything other than sound.

Its manual does seem to imply the thing has ARC support. Have you turned on ARC (and Anynet+ / CEC) in the TV's settings as well? If it has multiple HDMI ports, not all of them may support ARC either. Look for the one labeled with it specifically.

10 minutes ago, circeseye said:

damn they really hid it having arc. specs say no, but ONLY one block on page 55 in manual say yes.
it is old "arc" where tv is "earc" old arc can be a real 'pita' to get working right sometimes. tikker is right make sure your hdmi is in the right slots. and tv audio is set to arc.
if that dont work try a different hdmi cable. it could be bad

I tried 3 cables. 2 "old" ones and a new bought hdmi 2.1 cable. The cables were connected in the HDMI 2 (eARC) port on the TV and the HDMI out port on the HTE5200. Tried all sources on the HTE5200 to try and listen for sound from the TV.

ARC is set on Auto at both devices.

6 minutes ago, LangeDraak said:

I tried 3 cables. 2 "old" ones and a new bought hdmi 2.1 cable. The cables were connected in the HDMI 2 (eARC) port on the TV and the HDMI out port on the HTE5200. Tried all sources on the HTE5200 to try and listen for sound from the TV.

ARC is set on Auto at both devices.

ok it might be a handshake issue

try this..turn tv on wait a sec..turn 5200 on...see if it works

if not do it in reverse, turn on 5200 wait a sec then turn on tv.

33 minutes ago, circeseye said:

ok it might be a handshake issue

try this..turn tv on wait a sec..turn 5200 on...see if it works

if not do it in reverse, turn on 5200 wait a sec then turn on tv.

Tried it both ways. After turning on the TV it even lost the setting that I want audio to go through ARC and reset itself to TV-speakers.

1 hour ago, LangeDraak said:

Tried it both ways. After turning on the TV it even lost the setting that I want audio to go through ARC and reset itself to TV-speakers.

hmmm it has to be a handshake issue between arc and earc (i told you arc can be a pain in the @$$)

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

hmmm it has to be a handshake issue between arc and earc (i told you arc can be a pain in the @$$)

I've been talking with Samsung and the guys mentioned the HTE5200 might not have ARC build in anyway. But then he stopped responding (contact through WhatsApp). So yeah maybe that is the issue.

Strange that it mentions ARC in the manual and the settings, but doesn't have it.