The fastest snail (Sorry) - Overclocked Intel Core i3-12300 destroys quad-core CPU world record

Lightwreather

Summary

Intel’s Core i3-12300 has taken the title of the world’s speediest quad-core CPU after setting a new record in the Y-cruncher benchmark (a stress test that taxes the processor by tasking it to compute pi to umpteen digits).

Quotes

The Alder Lake processor was ramped up to 5,442MHz by Phantom K, a Korean overclocker, which resulted in a Y-cruncher time of 33.3 seconds, annihilating the previous quad-core record of 52 seconds (held by the AMD Ryzen 5300G).

The PC used to set the new record had the Core i3-12300 nestling in an Asus ROG Maximus Apex Z690 motherboard, with 32GB of DDR5-6736 RAM, as Tom’s Hardware reports. Notably liquid nitrogen wasn’t used in cooling the CPU (as is often the case with big overclocks), but dry ice instead

My thoughts

Well, I don't know how to take this. On the one hand, somehow multiple 12300s won the silicon lottery and are not the "World's fastest Quad core" in a certain benchmark, on the other hand, it's just that a Quad-core. Now, I don't mean to offend all Quad-core affcienados, I for one, am still running one of them. Well, anyway, Would you want to run one like this? No, ofc not, this is highly impractical for one, being cooled with dry Ice and then one of the highest-end Z690 boards out there and with 32gigs of RAM. But it's all definitely worth it to just say to the world that you have the world's fastest Quad core right? Well, congrats to Intel and to Phantom K for making the world's fastest quad-core.

(Jeez, I feel liek apple saying that ("World's fastest Quad core") so many times)

Sources

TechRadar

Tom's Hardware

HWBot

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I don't get it.  Are you not allowed to use parts with cores disabled in bios?  5.4Ghz is pretty trivial with a 12900K and you don't need dry ice to do it like this guy did with the i3.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I kinda hope that Intel releases a 12300k or something like that, an overclockable i3 for like $150. It would be pretty fun to mess around with and try to go for world records like these and much cheaper Z690 boards. 

It would be stupid, and that's the reason I want to do it.

I miss the old days where you bought crappiest budget CPU and overclocked the hell out of it. I'll probably never forget the Core 2 Duo E5200 that I had back then. It was a 75€ dual core processor with clock of 2,5GHz. I could overclock it to 3,75 GHz without much trouble and I still remember I played original Crysis on it. Not at Low or Medium, it had to be High or maxed out because I always cranked game sup and I know I hated stuttering or lags so they weren't happening apparently.

This i3-12300 seems to be returning to that. Given that people still game fine on i7-7700 and given how Intel separated FCLK from rest of system buses on these, it's overclockable even if multipliers are locked. In the past increasing FCLK/FSB also raised AGP and PCI clocks and that lead to all sorts of issues.

I've wanted to make my current build a cheap one, but then failed because of stupid corona and upgrade issues because I couldn't drop Ryzen 5000 into board with old BIOS that doesn't support them so I had to buy expensive one with BIOS flashback function. It was unfortunate time. But really, with new CPU's that clock themselves almost as high as they can go anyway (especially on Ryzen side), just buying the cheapest makes the most sense. It's just a shame AMD doesn't really have anything below Ryzen 5600X. Imagine Ryzen 5300X with 4c/8t and clocked to 4,5 GHz.

@RejZoRIt's not just 12300, every non-K (non overclockable) processor is capable of ~5+ GHz overclock. 2/2 core G6900, 2/4 Core G7400, 12100/F, 12400/F etc.

12400F @ 5.3/5.4GHz is incredible competitive even with 12900K

Some considerations: Y-cruncher can use AVX-512. It is unclear if it did, but the instruction set is shown on CPU-Z in the submission so it may be enabled. If the cores are fast enough, it will benefit from ram bandwidth. That system has fast DDR5. Ram capacity doesn't matter as long as it is enough. At that run size, it uses about 5GB, so even an 8GB system would run it easily.

Similarly, I used to hold the 6-core world record for quite a time. I haven't kept up with hardware so I'm way down now. I ran a 7800X. It has AVX-512 and quad channel ram. For Y-cruncher, it would beat any existing AM4 CPU at the time including those with many more cores.

Oh, I just noticed, that quad core time is a LOT faster than my 6-core former record! My ram sucked, only 3000, so that DDR5 system should have higher peak bandwidth.

4 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I don't get it.  Are you not allowed to use parts with cores disabled in bios?  5.4Ghz is pretty trivial with a 12900K and you don't need dry ice to do it like this guy did with the i3.

There are multiple reasons that isn't allowed. For starters, high core count CPUs will typically have more cache so gain advantage that way. Also you have more cores to pick from so you can find the x fastest cores. The other is (trying to) level the playing field, making it a little less pay2win when it comes to competitive overclocking.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible