ASUS X570-F wont post. VGA and BOOT LED both stuck on.

ASUS x570-f

ASUS 3080 TUF 

Ryzen 5900x

Samsung Evo 980 M.2

Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB

Had this set up running for 9 months without issue. Turned off the computer last night as normal. When booting this morning, the board got stuck in post - the white VGA and green BOOT LEDS both on and no display at all. Been trying to resolve it. So far I've tried:

• switching the GPU with 2 other GPUs (tried both PCI slots)
  • switched the CPU with a Ryzen 5 2600
  • switched the memory and tried with a single card setup
  • switched the M.2 (and also confirmed the original M.2 was working in another machine)
  • cleared CMOS multiple times and changed the CMOS battery 
  • connected the display with HDMI instead of display port
  • flashed the BIOS with the latest version and also some of the older ones.

In all cases, the board goes through the same process; starts post, gets to the VGA light, pauses before restarting post again, repeats this 3 times and then on the 3rd post, the green light comes on with the white light and it just stays there. No display output what so ever. In 2 random instances, the board did actually post, the first time, I got a "The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver. CMS settings have been changed for better compatibility". The second time, I got a "CPU fan error" (presumably because I reset the BIOS settings and I have an AIO installed). In both cases, pushing F1 got me to the bios where all the devices looked to be recogised.

I feel like I have sufficiently eliminated the other components as being faulty due to getting the same results with different parts. I can now only assume that the motherboard (or more likely, the BIOS) is to blame. Unfortunately, my knowledge of motherboards is some what limited and I dont really know what else to try from here. ASUS have offered to look at it but said it will take at least 10 days. Before I take them up on the offer, I wanted to see if anyone can think of something I can try first which might sort the issue. 

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, wamphlett said:

ASUS x570-f

ASUS 3080 TUF 

Ryzen 5900x

Samsung Evo 980 M.2

Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB

Had this set up running for 9 months without issue. Turned off the computer last night as normal. When booting this morning, the board got stuck in post - the white VGA and green BOOT LEDS both on and no display at all. Spent the day trying to resolve it. So far I've tried:

• switching the GPU with 2 other GPUs (tried both PCI slots)
  • switched the CPU with a Ryzen 5 2600
  • switched the memory and tried with a single card setup
  • switched the M.2 (and also confirmed the original M.2 was working in another machine)
  • cleared CMOS multiple times and changed the CMOS battery 
  • connected the display with HDMI instead of display port
  • flashed the BIOS with the latest version and also some of the older ones.

In all cases, the board goes through the same process; starts post, gets to the VGA light, pauses before restarting post again, repeats this 3 times and then on the 3rd post, the green light comes on with the white light and it just stays there. No display output what so ever. In 2 random instances, the board did actually post, the first time, I got a "The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver. CMS settings have been changed for better compatibility". The second time, I got a "CPU fan error" (presumably because I reset the BIOS settings and I have an AIO installed). In both cases, pushing F1 got me to the bios where all the devices looked to be recogised.

I feel like I have sufficiently eliminated the other components as being faulty due to getting the same results with different parts. I can now only assume that the motherboard (or more likely, the BIOS) is to blame. Unfortunately, my knowledge of motherboards is some what limited and I dont really know what else to try from here. ASUS have offered to look at it but said it will take at least 10 days. Before I take them up on the offer, I wanted to see if anyone can think of something I can try first which might sort the issue. 

Thanks!

Sounds a whole lot like a bad mobo to me, but only barely bad.  Like something almost works. Which means Any visible blemishes are unlikely.  I’m tempted to suspect a cracked solder joint myself.  If it just works for them have them test it a few times.   Unless those few times when it got past post were when alternate stuff (like a known good gpu or cpu were in there) then it all goes wonky.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds a whole lot like a bad mobo to me, but only barely bad.  Like something almost works. Which means Any visible blemishes are unlikely.  I’m tempted to suspect a cracked solder joint myself.  If it just works for them have them test it a few times.   Unless those few times when it got past post were when alternate stuff (like a known good gpu or cpu were in there) then it all goes wonky.

The two times I did manage to get past post, it was using the original hardware - one of the times was with just one memory stick in but that was the only difference. I think Im also starting to lean towards an issue with the board as when I turned in on this morning, it now wont get past the orange DRAM light and nothings changed since last night. 

I've got another machine which has a Gigabyte X570 mini ITX board in it so I think I might strip that down and switch the boards just to be completely sure.

Update on this. I have managed to switch the motherboard with all the original hardware and the system boots now so its definitely an issue with the Asus motherboard. I had to bump the bios version but Im now temporarily using a Gigabyte X570I which works. Windows is really stuttery and slow but Im assuming thats going to be a different issue all together - probably some settings/drivers that are wrong. Either way, time to get the motherboard replaced!

2 minutes ago, wamphlett said:

Update on this. I have managed to switch the motherboard with all the original hardware and the system boots now so its definitely an issue with the Asus motherboard. I had to bump the bios version but Im now temporarily using a Gigabyte X570I which works. Windows is really stuttery and slow but Im assuming thats going to be a different issue all together - probably some settings/drivers that are wrong. Either way, time to get the motherboard replaced!

😀  May not be out of the woods yet though.  You had “barely doesn’t work” vs. barely works”.  Very well could be the motherboard.  Might be something else though.  It will depend on if you can solve those stutters.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

😀  May not be out of the woods yet though.  You had “barely doesn’t work” vs. barely works”.  Very well could be the motherboard.  Might be something else though.  It will depend on if you can solve those stutters.

I think you might be right 😞 I had to originally put the 2600 in the new motherboard to update the bios to F30 to support the 5900x. Windows was fine at that time. Once I managed to boot using the 5900x, Windows was quite sluggish and stuttery but usable. I updated Nvidia drivers then Windows drivers (there were about 10, one of which was an AMD update). That required a restart, now the system is worse and blue screens shortly after logging in. So I guess now the CPU is either faulty or the drivers are in a really bad state.

As for the other motherboard, I figured that was faulty because it still got stuck in post with completely different hardware installed. I feel like I'm now fighting two different battles

Update: just managed to log in and this is what I'm presented with before a blue screen. Maybe it's worth switching the CPUs again to see if the issues persist? If it is driver related id expect the same result

PXL_20220119_215145864.jpg

10 minutes ago, wamphlett said:

I think you might be right 😞 I had to originally put the 2600 in the new motherboard to update the bios to F30 to support the 5900x. Windows was fine at that time. Once I managed to boot using the 5900x, Windows was quite sluggish and stuttery but usable. I updated Nvidia drivers then Windows drivers (there were about 10, one of which was an AMD update). That required a restart, now the system is worse and blue screens shortly after logging in. So I guess now the CPU is either faulty or the drivers are in a really bad state.

As for the other motherboard, I figured that was faulty because it still got stuck in post with completely different hardware installed. I feel like I'm now fighting two different battles

Blue screens at least produce mini dumps.  You can at least maybe find out WHAT the issue is.  Crash after boot statistically used memory a lot though in this case I think it’s just a random direction.  Yes blue screens suck but there are things that suck worse and you were experiencing one.  So progress.

Edited by Bombastinator

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Blue screens at least produce mini dumps.  You can at least maybe find out WHAT the issue is.  Crash after boot statistically used memory a lot though in this case I think it’s just a random direction.  Yes blue screens suck but there are things that suck worse and you were experiencing one.  So progress.

I didn't know blue screens generate minidumps, that could be helpful. Do you know if there is an easy way I can get my hands on those minidumps?

2 minutes ago, wamphlett said:

I didn't know blue screens generate minidumps, that could be helpful. Do you know if there is an easy way I can get my hands on those minidumps?

There’s a guide in the pinned posts of troubleshooting.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Thanks! Just reading that now. I've switched the CPU and everything is buttery smooth again. I'll try and get those minidumps

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ok so it looks like a driver issue? I've attached the DMP. A quick google suggests RAM or GPU hardware issues could be the cause but considering I have tried other hardware and I am on the machine now using the 2600 instead of the 5900x and everything is absolutely fine, I dont think the hardware is to blame here. My knowledge beyond this point gets somewhat flakey but I dont see how a set of drivers can run fine on one CPU and not another. I guess thats totally possible but I just didnt think thats how it worked. 

VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)
The video scheduler has detected that fatal violation has occurred. This resulted
in a condition that video scheduler can no longer progress. Any other values after
parameter 1 must be individually examined according to the subtype.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000002, The driver failed upon the submission of a command.
Arg2: ffffffffc000000d
Arg3: ffffec0e3ec77920
Arg4: ffffb68c76b10ad0

011922-8343-01.dmp

Update: system is back up and running (for now) with no stuttering, slowness or display issues using all my original hardware with the exception of the motherboard.

After seeing the VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR, in CMD (as admin), I ran sfc /scannow which found some corrupt files and repaired them. I then did chkdsk /f /r /x and restarted the computer to run a disk check. After that was complete, I put the 5900x back in and booted the system and it came up without any issues. 

So I guess from here, I can safely assume the only issue I had when I started this topic was the ASUS motherboard which I can now try and get replaced/repaired - disapointing that it failed after only 9 months, I would still like to know exactly what is wrong with it but I think thats past my skill set.

@Bombastinator thanks so much for the help! 

11 minutes ago, wamphlett said:

Update: system is back up and running (for now) with no stuttering, slowness or display issues using all my original hardware with the exception of the motherboard.

After seeing the VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR, in CMD (as admin), I ran sfc /scannow which found some corrupt files and repaired them. I then did chkdsk /f /r /x and restarted the computer to run a disk check. After that was complete, I put the 5900x back in and booted the system and it came up without any issues. 

So I guess from here, I can safely assume the only issue I had when I started this topic was the ASUS motherboard which I can now try and get replaced/repaired - disapointing that it failed after only 9 months, I would still like to know exactly what is wrong with it but I think thats past my skill set.

@Bombastinator thanks so much for the help! 

Smells like a win to me. GJ 🙂  Disk errors were not what I expected.  Pre-post shouldn’t have even accessed the drive yet. Post boot does though.  Two error problems are exponentially harder.  If the thing with errors is a HDD though I would be worried for the drive in the future.  HDDs have a nasty habit of having problems accelerate once they start developing them.  Data on that drive is a good candidate for frequent backups.  (I have a friend who used to say the moral of every story ever told throughout history is “always make backups”)

Edited by Bombastinator

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Smells like a win to me. GJ 🙂  Disk errors were not what I expected.  Pre-post shouldn’t have even accessed the drive yet. Post boot does though.  Two error problems are exponentially harder.  If the thing with errors is a HDD though I would be worried for the drive in the future.  HDDs have a nasty habit of having problems accelerate once they start developing them.  Data on that drive is a good candidate for frequent backups.  (I have a friend who used to say the moral of every story ever told throughout history is “always make backups”)

Im not entirely convinced the disk scan resolved anything to be honest. I think I could have just done the file checker scan and resolved the issues - I just did the disk scan to cover all bases. Either way, I have the drives all backed up locally anyway so if it does go, it wont be the end of the world.