Caching or archiving transferred files

Dibmeister

Hi,

Not entirely sure if this is the right section to post this in so apologies if its not.

I am wanting to improve the transfer speeds from my main system to my server, I have tested and founf unsurprisingly that transferring to the server SSD is far faster than to its HDDs. What im looking for is whether i can set up an SSD as a cache in a storage pool or a way to get the system to automatically transfer any files held on a specified SSD to the HDD.

Any advice is greatly appreciated thanks

Have to say I love that screen name.  Dibmeister.  The master of dibs.  My memory is they don’t say “dibs” in the UK.  It’s something else.  Might be wrong.

An HDD with SSD caching is known as a hybrid drive.  They used to be quite popular. You could buy HDDs with that already set up internally.  Setting up an SSD as cache for an HDD is iirc a standard windows feature.  Not one that is used all that much anymore.  Is still slower than an SSD. It’s faster than an HDD though. You can also do it with a RAM disk.  That’s even faster, but of course very expensive.  Iirc intel made optane just to do this.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

27 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is your nas specs? What OS? Hardware config? Raid array? Gonna need some more info here if you want to setup caching.

The system is running a i9-9900K, 32GB RAM at 3000mhz, running windoes 11 pro and currently using the microsoft storage spaces

9 minutes ago, Dibmeister said:

The system is running a i9-9900K, 32GB RAM at 3000mhz, running windoes 11 pro and currently using the microsoft storage spaces

How many hdds?

If you got the hardare, you might as well try storage spaces tiering, its a bit of setup in powershell, but why not. Still not perfect though. You can also add more HDDs in raid for better speeds