Seasonic Prime TX-850W vs 1000W PSU for 6800 XT

maremp

Yeah the answer is obvious, get the beefier one, titanium is very efficient anyway. But the question is around the price difference.

Seems like the amazon had a deal, I got the TX-850W for around 190€ (yes I'm sure it's TX and not the cheaper PX), while the regular price is 220€. And the 1000W model is 308€ atm, so there's a huge price gap for the extra 150W which I don't see using up.

Second part of the upgrade I plan to do in the following months is the RX 6800 XT (if the prices go down to a more sane level), which list min 750W PSU. Currently I have RX 5700 XT.

But after I was looking at the PSU tier list, I got some doubts when I saw some asterisks around the Prime TX <=850W models:

Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage

For the CPU, I'm currently on i7-6700K (91W TDP), but I was thinking about upgrading to 5800x or 5900x (both list 105W TDP), but I might hold out for the next gen. There's nothing else with a significant power draw in the system.

Should I be worried about potential issues with the TX-850?

Why so much power? I ran a 5800x and now a 12900k and 6800xt on the Corsair SF600.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Yeah I'd say an 850W would be heaps. It's a 300W card yeah? Even if it ran up to 600W you should still have room with an 850W

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

16 minutes ago, maremp said:

get the beefier one

No, get another brand. Although a 6800XT shouldn't make a Prime TX 850/1000w to shut down, 6900XT and RTX 3080 (T)i/3090 will. There are better units for a comparable or even lower price. Corsair HX850 V2 and be quiet! Dark Power 12 850w for example.

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

There are better units for a comparable or even lower price. Corsair HX850 V2 and be quiet! Dark Power 12 850w for example.

Better in what regard? I'm not trying to disregard your comment, just trying to gather more info. I always considered Seasonic to be top-of-the-line brand. When I was starting by build in 2016 I recall reading a lot of positive reviews. And even when I've looked now, the Prime PX/TX units got stellar reviews.

Corsair is based on the Seasonic, no? Interesting that they don't have this issue.

I did consider the Dark power 12 but it was more expensive (230 vs 190€, +21%).

1 hour ago, maremp said:

I always considered Seasonic to be top-of-the-line brand.

I literally gasped when I read this sentence. Expect an army of angry PSU experts to flood this thread...

7 hours ago, maremp said:

I always considered Seasonic to be top-of-the-line brand

That's what a lot of people think but it's not true. A lot of other OEMs can make better PSUs.

Corsair HX for example. A CWT platform with no issues at all. Better fan, better fancontrol, better electronics, better connectors,  real 50 degree rating.

7 hours ago, maremp said:

Corsair is based on the Seasonic, no?

No. Non of the current Corsair PSUs is based on Seasonic. AX Titanium was but is continued because of issues.

8 hours ago, maremp said:

Corsair is based on the Seasonic, no?

No. Absolutely not.

Neither really. EVGA G6 and Corsair RM-x are cheaper. The former is actually made by Seasonic too, so it's not like you 'lose' anything (even if i consider RM-x a bit better actually), better than pretty much anything else made by Seasonic currently. Seasonic Prime are overpriced and problematic. 850W is enough, 750W is too actually, but 1kW may make sense if you want to overprovision for the next-gen stuff, although that may not actually help, nothing is known about whether current PSUs would be able to handle even larger transients than Ampere currently have.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 hours ago, MarkCaplan said:

Expect an army of angry PSU experts to flood this thread...

Those tend to bring in more suggestions, I like that 😀

3 hours ago, --SID-- said:

No. Non of the current Corsair PSUs is based on Seasonic.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No. Absolutely not.

My bad, must have been from really old reviews then, or am I just misremembering things? I have to go back and update my knowledge. I'm sad that jonnyguru.com is offline, it was my primary source of reviews when I was picking the PSU in 2016.

3 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Corsair HX for example. A CWT platform with no issues at all. Better fan, better fancontrol, better electronics, better connectors,  real 50 degree rating.

So considering that I've already ordered the Seasonic one before checking this (yeah, stupid of me), should I consider returning the Seasonic one and get the HX instead?

But also if there are issues with it, I would be able to take advantage of their 12y warranty, no?

4 hours ago, Juular said:

EVGA G6 and Corsair RM-x are cheaper.

Not sure if that's a fair comparison, I think those target a lower price bracket hand have gold rating compared to the platinum of HX or titanium of Seasonic TX. I understand the 80+ rating does not mean much, but when comparing it in reputable brands, I believe it requires some level of build quality to achieve such results.

Edit: Also, I'm not after the best bang for the buck here. I can afford to spend a bit more on something that's for sure going to last me for some time. I know platinum/titanium is not going to bring me much savings over the gold (I did the math), but there's just some peace in my mind with the more premium build quality. Or I am just influenced by all of the reviewers to think the premium thing is way better.

26 minutes ago, maremp said:

I believe it requires some level of build quality to achieve such results.

It's not difficult to make a Platinum/Titanium rated PSU with bad protections, bad cables and connectors, bad fan, bad fancontrol etc.

Also take notice of the temperature rating. Seasonic Prime is rated at 40 degrees at 100% load, Corsair HX 50 degrees. Higher temperature rating needs better quality.

18 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

It's not difficult to make a Platinum/Titanium rated PSU with bad protections, bad cables and connectors, bad fan, bad fancontrol etc.

Yes of course, I did read about the shitty PSUs that are 80+ gold, or even switch-and-baited the customers. But we're not talking about X company from China, I believe Seasonic is not that.

38 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Also take notice of the temperature rating. Seasonic Prime is rated at 40 degrees at 100% load, Corsair HX 50 degrees. Higher temperature rating needs better quality.

Good point, I did not consider this, thanks for highlighting it.

4 hours ago, maremp said:

Not sure if that's a fair comparison, I think those target a lower price bracket hand have gold rating compared to the platinum of HX or titanium of Seasonic TX.

Well, fair enough, there are of course more advanced and 'better' options than those i've mentioned above, and if you're ready to pay extra for them - why not, but personally i don't really see the point as those 80+ Gold options i've mentioned above are already very good. Anyway, have look at Corsair HX, Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE / EVGA P2 and maybe be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 but it's too expensive IMO. There's also EVGA P6 but it can't really offer anything that EVGA G6 can't and for some reason is actually less quiet.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply