best airflow

spwath

Exhaust for the side, get all that hot air produced by the GPU and CPU out.

Thats really not accurate. For CPU yes, but for GPU it depends highly on GPU. If it exhausts inside case then extra help on exhausting is better. If it blows hot air already out of case, its better to aid it with fresh air. Most GPUs would prefer intake.

2 fans front intake, 2 top exhaust and single for side intake next to GPU. Rear exhaust isn't needed really. If you go for aftermarket cooler, pick one that you can put to push hot air towards top. Bottom fan depends bit on case. If its right next to PSU, the PSU cables will limit airflow. For under HDD cages I'd say either bottom and 1 front or 2 on front.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I just tested two extremely hot, over-clocked, open heat-sink GPU cards under air in SLI that had temperatures that were impossible to stabilise without adding an extra bank of three 140mm performance fans to my rig (for a total of eight) and turning them all up to full.

EDIT:

The Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC has a button on the underside of the card marked "Extreme" which if pressed, switches the card from the main Bios to "one that is tailored to work around the GF110’s cold bug when under [liquid nitrogen]"...

...who knew? 

And yes, it seems this button, somewhere along the line had gotten pressed.   :rolleyes:

I basically found that the only way I could stabilise the temperatures was to have two 140mm performance fans blowing air onto the cards through the side panel (not extracting air), and six 140mm performance fans (two banks of three on either side of the (completely empty) drive enclosure extracting air through the front of the case. Extracting through the side-panel didn't work; fresh air pushed directly onto the cards was required and that air then had to be extracted through the front to keep the airflow constant enough to carry the heat away.

I'm not saying that's the best way to go, I'm just saying that was the most efficient configuration I could find for air cooling two SLI super-hot, open-heatsink graphics cards.

As a result of that thermal testing my new cooling configuration is going to be, four 140mm performance fans blowing air into the case through the side panel (actually, maybe six, to feed the H110), three 140mm performance fans extracting air through the front of the case, two more 120mm performance fans on the back of the case blowing air into the case and across the motherboard (the case I have is an Antec 1200), and I've basically just modified the top of the case to seat a Corsair H110 (for my CPU) in place of the blow-hole. I'm putting an Accelero Hybrid II on the top card to solve the heat issue and moving the second card to the x8 slot (two spaces away from the top card) because the cards I have (it turns out) wouldn't be able to max out an x8 slots's bandwidth so there'll be no performance decrease (I'm considering buying a second Hybrid II to overclock both cards).

Other than that, I go with positive air pressure, because I don't use filters (they impede airflow way too much) and if given the choice I favour high pressure in and high volume out, working with convection rather than against it if presented with the choice, but generally I try and treat my P.C. case like a wind-tunnel and blow air straight across the components with as little obstructing that flow as possible (for instance I ripped out all of the plastic drive bays and drive bay holders from my 1200 as soon as I got it and if I need to seat fan-controllers, a DVD-ROM drive etc. I seat them in the bottom of the case so that I can create clear, uninterrupted airflow in (to the case) over (the components) and out (of the case).

I'm pushing most of my air trough the side-panel now because of the benefit it gives to the graphics cards etc.; in the past, if I had to use a large number of mechanical HDDs I'd run the wires outside of the case and stand them on their sides on the mesh above the blow-hole so that the air being extracted would carry the heat away from those drives without the heat from those drives ever getting anywhere near to the inside of the case.

This kind of thing works for me as I always favour performance over looks. 

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Just a question: How do you deal with the fact that your motherboard only has two fan headers?

Phantom 410 has fan speedv controller for 6 fans built in

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Phantom 410 has fan speedv controller for 6 fans built in

lol oh yeah. That totally slipped my mind. Okay. What about front (intake), bottom (intake; helps the GPU), top (intake; cool vrm, memory, etc.), rear as exhaust and the side as passive. I think you'll get positive pressure that way and the system will be cool.

lol oh yeah. That totally slipped my mind. Okay. What about front (intake), bottom (intake; helps the GPU), top (intake; cool vrm, memory, etc.), rear as exhaust and the side as passive. I think you'll get positive pressure that way and the system will be cool.

That could work. Seems like most air would go out the side. What fans should I have were tho_?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

That could work. Seems like most air would go out the side. What fans should I have were tho_?

Exactly. How about the Corsair SPs in the front, the Silverstone in the bottom, the two Spectre pros at the top and an NZXT 120 in the rear. How does this sound?

Exactly. How about the Corsair SPs in the front, the Silverstone in the bottom, the two Spectre pros at the top and an NZXT 120 in the rear. How does this sound?

Good. Maby I'll try a bunch of different things and see what is best

Let's see. I think I'll keep Silverstone in bottom because built in fan grill keeps cables from going in it.

Corsair at top for looks.

Bitfenix in back for looks

Bitfenix in bottom front

Nzxt in top front

Nzxt on side

Front bottom and side intake

Back and top exhaust

This sound good?

Let's see. I think I'll keep Silverstone in bottom because built in fan grill keeps cables from going in it.

Corsair at top for looks.

Bitfenix in back for looks

Bitfenix in bottom front

Nzxt in top front

Nzxt on side

Front bottom and side intake

Back and top exhaust

This sound good?

Yep :) This will work fine.

Yep :) This will work fine.

I have that in now. Keeps my GPU at 25C Idle and 63c load

(ASus Direct CU HD7850 1gb)

OK so this is what I have. Anything I can do to make the airflow better? (besides improvim my paint skills)  BTW the top HD cage is removed./

post-53826-0-20287600-1397830522_thumb.p