Looking for free resources to introduce a 5 year old and 9 year old to computers and coding

badger85

Our 5 year old received a Chromebook for Christmas and we would like to start getting her used to using computers instead of stabbing at her tablet screen with her fingers. It took her less than a day to get used to navigating Netflix using a touchpad instead of touching the screen and we would like some online games that can help her get used to using a computer and maybe even start teaching some logic/programming... though I'm not sure if these exists since she cant read yet.

Our 9 year old already knows how to use a computer but received his first windows laptop for Christmas. We are also trying to find some free games that could introduce him to programming and logic.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

56 minutes ago, badger85 said:

Our 9 year old already knows how to use a computer but received his first windows laptop for Christmas. We are also trying to find some free games that could introduce him to programming and logic.

make sure to do the same with your 5 year old, a chromebook is very much bad to learn anything about computers, does their school have Minecraft education?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

18 minutes ago, PlayTop2100 said:

If you are looking for something a little more advanced, I recommend Scratch. It is how my dad introduced me to coding.

scratch is pretty good!

-----------------

#

18 hours ago, adarw said:

make sure to do the same with your 5 year old, a chromebook is very much bad to learn anything about computers, does their school have Minecraft education?

No, the school doesn't focus on any kind of computer education. It seems thats left to the parents.

As for getting a windows laptop for the 5 year old, the chromebook was purchased for 60$ just in case it accidentally gets destroyed. maybe i n a year or so she can have a real PC.

Just now, badger85 said:

No, the school doesn't focus on any kind of computer education. It seems thats left to the parents.

bummer, if they have bedrock edition they can kinda of play education edition. theres some pretty cool maps where they can learn coding and such. scratch is pretty cool too, your five year old might not understand it tho.

-----------------

#

19 hours ago, badger85 said:

Our 5 year old received a Chromebook for Christmas

Too young for coding, especially if she can't read

Also, how evil are you to give her a Chromebook 😄

Our 9 year old (...) introduce him to programming and logic.

Basic 

Microsoft Basic to be exact

18 hours ago, adarw said:

I disagree. I think a Chromebook is great for learning. I think it's a good, safe(r) environment than Windows for a kid, and you can even do things like learn programming on it. Not just Scratch but even stuff like Python is available on ChromeOS.

2 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Too young for coding, especially if she can't read

Also, how evil are you to give her a Chromebook 😄

Basic 

Microsoft Basic to be exact

LOL! the 5 year old got a chromebook because she still needs to learn that she can't throw electronics across the room when she's frustrated.. Her school is doing online classes and she needs a proper device. The chromebook gets the job done. For her i'd like some kind of games that practice basic computer usage and maybe a few logic based games. She can't read yet so i don't expect much!

Just now, LAwLz said:

I disagree. I think a Chromebook is great for learning. I think it's a good, safe(r) environment than Windows for a kid, and you can even do things like learn programming on it. Not just Scratch but even stuff like Python is available on ChromeOS.

Her chromebook is so old that it's no longer getting updates (Chrome OS 76 i believe). No play store and i don't even think it supports enabling developer options so i can't sideload  anything. It's fine for now though while she gets used to it and does her online classes. once she gets used to it i'll look into installing a light version of linux for more flexibility.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

no im not saying now, but in the future he should get her some windows laptop. it wont matter what shes using right now. right now a Chromebook is really good for her. but most programming will be limited to online stuff, but thats fine, there are many goodies out there, but a windows laptop is key since its not so locked down in the future. i made a mistake of not saying this the first time, my bad.

-----------------

#

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

On 1/11/2022 at 10:23 PM, badger85 said:

[...] and we would like some online games that can help her get used to using a computer and maybe even start teaching some logic/programming... though I'm not sure if these exists since she cant read yet.

There are robotic/coding toys from Lego (Boost - current set is a bit old, Powered Up, pybricks, raspberry...), or Cozmo, and others... with gaphical scratch GUI.

You can download the apps and take a look before buying.

I never tried Cozmo, but I can atleast give you a tip for the Lego-stuff: If you already own bricks, axles,.. buy the programmable hardware from retailers on bricklink.com - saves a lot of money.