PC turned off in the middle of the night, now shows no life anymore.

DylonSaaied
Go to solution Solved by DylonSaaied,

Just a heads up, she lives to see another day. Only the PSU died. Ordered a new one already. Thanks for your help guys.

Hey guys so my PC was left running overnight and I woke up to it being off, which is odd as I didn't have any sleep mode on. Now the thing gives no life anymore and I'm sitting here wondering what caused it. I tried to replug the PSU, maybe it had shorted or something but nothing happened. I pulled out the cables and checked inside and I noticed one of the VRM's looks toasty, could have overheated not something? And probably fry my MOBO? My specs are:

- i7-8700K not oc'd

- Gigabyte GTX1080 windforce 3x

- 16gb of g skill tridentz 3200mhz

and the PSU is a bequiet! dark power pro 650 watt

Does anyone have an idea if that one VRM caused the motherboard to die? When I plug in the PSU with it's cable I do hear electricity like "sparking" so seems like there is still power going to the PSU, just not after it anymore.

A904AB87-C6A2-4613-904B-A098F5C35220.jpeg

26 minutes ago, DylonSaaied said:

Hey guys so my PC was left running overnight and I woke up to it being off, which is odd as I didn't have any sleep mode on. Now the thing gives now life anymore and I'm sitting here wondering what caused it. I tried to replug the PSU, maybe it had shorted or something but nothing happened. I pulled out the cables and checked inside and I noticed one of the VRM's looks toasty, could have overheated not something? And probably fry my MOBO? My specs are:

- i7-8700K not oc'd

- Gigabyte GTX1080 windforce 3x

- 16gb of g skill tridentz 3200mhz

and the PSU is a bequiet! dark power pro 650 watt

Does anyone have an idea if that one VRM caused the motherboard to die? When I plug in the PSU with it's cable I do hear electricity like "sparking" so seems like there is still power going to the PSU, just not after it anymore.

A904AB87-C6A2-4613-904B-A098F5C35220.jpeg

When you plug on the PSU can you hear the fan? If you have a multimetre you can also try checking it that way.

My PC Currently Is The P2-1320a.

@DylonSaaied You can test PSU, take out all cables from the PC, mobo etc. Short these to pins and turn on psu and see if it fires up, if not PSU is dead.

How to: Test a power supply unit – Corsair

You can also use one of these:

EVGA FAQ - How do I test my power supply?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Unplug psu from motherboard (remove 24 pin and 8 pin cpu cable) 

Pull out the power cable from the power supply for at least 5-10 seconds - if the power supply detected a short circuit or something bad, it turned itself off and the protections may stay active until the power supply is fully unplugged and the residual energy inside the power supply gets discharged. 

Try turning on the power supply  by shorting the PS_ON pin to any ground pin - see https://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

use a metal paper clip or a small piece of wire, make a connection between the 4th pin from the top on the side with the retention clip and a ground pin (either pin above or under it for example) for a second or two, and the power supply should start and you'd see the fan spinning. 

If it starts, at least you know the power supply still works. Ideally, you'd get a multimeter and you'd measure the voltages, you should have 3.3v, 5v and 12v on the connectors.

Yeah, it looks like a mosfet or the inductor got too hot and broke down...so your motherboard is probably toast.  If you're really unlucky the cpu is dead as well.

6 minutes ago, minecraftyeet1 said:

When you plug on the PSU can you hear the fan? If you have a multimedia you can also try checking it that way.

I do not hear it or see it spinning 

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Pull out the power cable from the power supply for at least 5-10 seconds - if the power supply detected a short circuit or something bad, it turned itself off and the protections may stay active until the power supply is fully unplugged and the residual energy inside the power supply gets discharged. 

Try turning on the power supply  by shorting the PS_ON pin to any ground pin - see https://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

use a metal paper clip or a small piece of wire, make a connection between the 4th pin from the top on the side with the retention clip and a ground pin (either pin above or under it for example) for a second or two, and the power supply should start and you'd see the fan spinning. 

If it starts, at least you know the power supply still works. Ideally, you'd get a multimeter and you'd measure the voltages, you should have 3.3v, 5v and 12v on the connectors.

Yeah, it looks like a mosfet or the inductor got too hot and broke down...so your motherboard is probably toast.  If you're really unlucky the cpu is dead as well.

4 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

@DylonSaaied You can test PSU, take out all cables from the PC, mobo etc. Short these to pins and turn on psu and see if it fires up, if not PSU is dead.

I will try this whenever I get off work or during my break, thanks for the tip

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

As long as my 1080 is still alive ahahah

34 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I tried this and nothing happened with the PSU 

29 minutes ago, DylonSaaied said:

I tried this and nothing happened with the PSU 

alright, you try another power cable if you want, but most likely, psu is dead.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

alright, you try another power cable if you want, but most likely, psu is dead.

Was ahead of you on that one, indeed other cable didn't work either, I might have to check if I can power it up using an older PSU. Either I have to go check with a local computer store if they can lend me a PSU or just try one out to see if it really is the PSU.

Just a heads up, she lives to see another day. Only the PSU died. Ordered a new one already. Thanks for your help guys.