Can someone tell me what type of DC plug this is?

Phas3L0ck

I'm doing a minor upgrade to integrate 12v power to my desk in a semi-industrial way, and with a new power brick comes the need for connections-- but I can't power my speakers due to the odd style of plug it takes...

I have a very old pair of Yamaha speakers, and this just happens to be the one thing that uses a reverse DC barrel plug, and I can't find it anywhere!

I have the original power adapter, a PA-M7, but I don't want to cut the cord off and lose the ability to use it again.

The plug measures at 5mm outer diameter and 8mm length (at least that's as accurately as I can measure) and I need an open-ended cable with this exact plug. The problem is that I can't find this style of DC barrel plug anywhere no matter hard hard I look or what I search for. Can anyone find this?

20220110_220430.thumb.jpg.27454b74f5913b48fe1e0a1a388b7a14.jpg20220110_220202.thumb.jpg.f724c816a0fc07074337fbcfa34081f7.jpg

13 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

I'm doing a minor upgrade to integrate 12v power to my desk in a semi-industrial way, and with a new power brick comes the need for connections-- but I can't power my speakers due to the odd style of plug it takes...

I have a very old pair of Yamaha speakers, and this just happens to be the one thing that uses a reverse DC barrel plug, and I can't find it anywhere!

I have the original power adapter, a PA-M7, but I don't want to cut the cord off and lose the ability to use it again.

The plug measures at 5mm outer diameter and 8mm length (at least that's as accurately as I can measure) and I need an open-ended cable with this exact plug. The problem is that I can't find this style of DC barrel plug anywhere no matter hard hard I look or what I search for. Can anyone find this?

20220110_220430.thumb.jpg.27454b74f5913b48fe1e0a1a388b7a14.jpg20220110_220202.thumb.jpg.f724c816a0fc07074337fbcfa34081f7.jpg

https://blog.banggood.com/how-to-choose-the-right-ac-adapter-for-your-gadget-29870.html

Also, how to properly measure and determine barrel plug.

41xkHK2Zm7L._AC_.jpg

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

That doesn't help at all. I tried looking for plugs in both known sizes and what I measured, and all I ever find is generic junk!

This sort of thing happens so often, it's like the entire world is completely pathologically backwards and everyone only ever has the exact opposite of what I need!

34 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

That doesn't help at all. I tried looking for plugs in both known sizes and what I measured, and all I ever find is generic junk!

This sort of thing happens so often, it's like the entire world is completely pathologically backwards and everyone only ever has the exact opposite of what I need!

So, what's your plug outer diameter and inner diameter ?

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

So, what's your plug outer diameter and inner diameter ?

The outer, as I stated in my initial post, is 5mm. The inner diameter is about 3mm. That's as accurately as I can measure with nothing but a typical slim ruler.

I found something on a foreign website that looks close, but specifies the size is 7.9mm length by 5.5mm OD. It has the center pin, so I'll be looking into that as a possibility.

Have a look at

Barrel Jack Connectors : https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/barrel-power-connectors/435

( tip : filter to show only plugs)

Cable Assemblies (with barrel jack connector) : https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/barrel-power-cables/464

Pick ID and OD  (inner and outer diameter), pick the length of the barrel (you can go with slightly longer, but shorter could be problematic), pick lengths of cable and so on... 

Look at datasheets, there's barrel jacks that have outer wall ground and inner wall separate connection, and the pin is for data or other things (so you have 3 wires, not just two)

10 minutes ago, Phas3L0ck said:

The outer, as I stated in my initial post, is 5mm. The inner diameter is about 3mm. That's as accurately as I can measure with nothing but a typical slim ruler.

I found something on a foreign website that looks close, but specifies the size is 7.9mm length by 5.5mm OD. It has the center pin, so I'll be looking into that as a possibility.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Laptop-Universal-28-Ac-Dc-Power-5-5X2-1Mm-Jack-Charger-To-28-Plug-Power-Adapter-Connector-Plug/328987084

Or you can buy adapters like that.

My guess is yours actually 6mm x 3mm or 5.5x2.5mm

DC Adapter.png

Refresh before you reply

4 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Laptop-Universal-28-Ac-Dc-Power-5-5X2-1Mm-Jack-Charger-To-28-Plug-Power-Adapter-Connector-Plug/328987084

Or you can buy adapters like that.

My guess is yours actually 6mm x 3mm or 5.5x2.5mm

Close, but not quite it.

4 hours ago, mariushm said:

Could be this,  5.5 OD, 3.3 ID  :  (straight)  https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/schurter-inc/4840-5220/2644244

or ( right angle )  https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/schurter-inc/4840-5221/2644245

image.thumb.png.187a9b107df75b5f13bb1213710e8029.png

But unlikely...

After an exhaustive search, it seems you have the size right, but mine is closer to the Philmore-255... not 100% sure, but then I found their 48-420 part, which looks a lot more like my cable. Either way, I think my plug is an EIAJ-04 type. What you found is close, but the barrel length (from the image you attached) looks a little too long to fit in just right.