Gigabyte Laptop USB Troubles/Weirdness

BWLServers

To preface this, I'm an IT tech, so I've tried all the obvious fixes. Driver reinstallation, BIOS updated to latest version, Windows updates, graphics driver updated, etc. Only thing I haven't done is reinstall Windows which I'll explain below.

Gigabyte Aorus 15P YD

i7-11800H

RTX 3080

32GB memory

1TB NVMe SSD

Win10 64bit

ANY time I plug in more than 3 USB devices of any kind (laptop only has 3 USB ports so I always have to use a hub) everything starts to wig out, but ONLY when playing games. Seems to be related to high CPU/GPU usage.

Mouse and keyboard will cut in and out, headset audio (USB) goes all fuzzy, but nothing ever quits working completely. After about 30sec to 2 min, it all stops and goes back to normal. Nothing I do ever seems to make a difference, whether I reconnect USB devices, unplug stuff, nothing. Just have to ride it out.

I've used a USB 2 hub, a USB 3 hub, and a Thunderbolt hub. Does it regardless of what I use. All unpowered though.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of power draw issue, or not enough resources for the USB controller?

I'm hesitant to reinstall Windows, as I'm active military and setting up CAC access is a pain. I can do it again, just trying to get around it if I can.

Anyone have any last-ditch suggestions I can try to nail this down? I don't even see errors in Event Viewer. It's like the computer has no idea it's happening. It used to blue screen whenever the USB would cut out, but that quit after some driver updates.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

On 1/8/2022 at 3:38 PM, BWLServers said:

To preface this, I'm an IT tech, so I've tried all the obvious fixes. Driver reinstallation, BIOS updated to latest version, Windows updates, graphics driver updated, etc. Only thing I haven't done is reinstall Windows which I'll explain below.

Gigabyte Aorus 15P YD

i7-11800H

RTX 3080

32GB memory

1TB NVMe SSD

Win10 64bit

ANY time I plug in more than 3 USB devices of any kind (laptop only has 3 USB ports so I always have to use a hub) everything starts to wig out, but ONLY when playing games. Seems to be related to high CPU/GPU usage.

Mouse and keyboard will cut in and out, headset audio (USB) goes all fuzzy, but nothing ever quits working completely. After about 30sec to 2 min, it all stops and goes back to normal. Nothing I do ever seems to make a difference, whether I reconnect USB devices, unplug stuff, nothing. Just have to ride it out.

I've used a USB 2 hub, a USB 3 hub, and a Thunderbolt hub. Does it regardless of what I use. All unpowered though.

I'm wondering if this is some sort of power draw issue, or not enough resources for the USB controller?

I'm hesitant to reinstall Windows, as I'm active military and setting up CAC access is a pain. I can do it again, just trying to get around it if I can.

Anyone have any last-ditch suggestions I can try to nail this down? I don't even see errors in Event Viewer. It's like the computer has no idea it's happening. It used to blue screen whenever the USB would cut out, but that quit after some driver updates.

I wonder if it's caused by one USB port connections being faulty, when you use only 2 of the ports (with leaving 1 of them empty and then another one) does the issue continue?

On 1/11/2022 at 10:09 PM, RTX 3071 said:

I wonder if it's caused by one USB port connections being faulty, when you use only 2 of the ports (with leaving 1 of them empty and then another one) does the issue continue?

Unfortunately. I've tried combos of devices plugged only into a hub, split between the hub and PC, etc.
Just updated the BIOS and that didn't help either. I'm gonna wipe it here soon when I upgrade to Win11 and see if that makes a difference.

• CPU
    Intel Core i7-7820X @ 4.2GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus Prime X299 Deluxe
  • RAM
    32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4
  • GPU
    GTX 1080Ti FE
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX
  • Storage
    500GB 960 Pro SSD, 240GB PNY SATA SSD, 3TB WD Red NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx Series, RM850x
  • Display(s)
    3x 1080p Garbage
  • Cooling
    Fully Custom EK :D
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma "Clicky"
  • Mouse
    Razer Super Mega Black Mamba of Death 9000DPI
  • Sound
    Logitech Something with a broken bass adjustment knob so it's always rupturing spleens
  • Operating System
    NSA-Approved version of Windows 10 Pro

• 1 year later...

Have you figured it out?  I am currently having the same issue on the same laptop.  I’ve tried literally everything.  Only thing I can think of is it could be drawing too much power.

• 2 months later...

Anyone figured it out yet? My tumor is growing every time this happens. Nothing works. Help

4 hours ago, Pefki said:

Anyone figured it out yet? My tumor is growing every time this happens. Nothing works. Help

have any of you tried powered thunderbolt dockings? 

sounds like it's a low power thing, shutting down USB ports when the GPU/CPU draws too much. 

or if anything try a PSU with more Watt.. i know alot of laptops have low watt travel adapters... 

or for that matter.. component overheating... the USB controller overheats onboard .. and needs to cool down to work properly again.