I want to know if it is worth it to get faster ram (2666 v 3200). If all i do is office work and media consumption and light gaming (60hz).

Go to solution Solved by Aaron_T,

If you game enough to justify a discrete GPU eventually. I'd personally get the "mid grade" RAM and save more money for the GPU purchase in the future. For 60hz gaming a potential few percent gain in performance from the RAM will not be noticeable, and gaming on an iGPU will be painful regardless of the RAM, except for the easiest to run games.

Hello all,

I am going to build my 1st pc. Initially i walted to get a mid range AMD cpu and a gpu. But as I live in Pakistan it really isn't in my budget to get a cpu and a gpu together. So I needed a cpu with igpu amd my options are limited to intel 10th gen. So I thought that i should buy good parts that i can get and fast ram is one of them. 

However if I am just going to be doing some light gaming or office work and I cannot get a high refresh monitor. Do I really need fast Ram? 

Probably not if its SUPER expensive , as most of the time it just comes down to when you buy it, if its around the same price. If its within 5-10 USD, sure if your budget can allow it, its worth it. But i dont know prices there so its hard to say

If you game enough to justify a discrete GPU eventually. I'd personally get the "mid grade" RAM and save more money for the GPU purchase in the future. For 60hz gaming a potential few percent gain in performance from the RAM will not be noticeable, and gaming on an iGPU will be painful regardless of the RAM, except for the easiest to run games.

No you don't really need fast RAM for light use, 2666 is ok, and you'd better use the money for a better CPU or GPU

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

For those use cases, RAM speed doesn't matter. Save the money for a GPU upgrade or even just to have for other life purposes.

Wow, thank you everyone for your feedback and i really didn't think that anyone would have replied so fast. And according to your feedback i think i will get 2666Mhz ram and b460 or b560 mobo.

Thanks angain to everyone that replied.

6 minutes ago, Ali Rizvi said:

Wow, thank you everyone for your feedback and i really didn't think that anyone would have replied so fast. And according to your feedback i think i will get 2666Mhz ram and b460 or b560 mobo.

Thanks angain to everyone that replied.

If you get a B460 board, you'll be limited to 2666 speeds anyway, because B460 doesn't allow for RAM overclocking. A B560 would be needed to support 3200 speed RAM.