IPad Pro Powering Mainboard through USB-C

Go to solution Solved by Jumballi,

This is usually safe, I've had my PC get power through the HDMI and USB ports before. Caused a headache when doing some troubleshooting, but never the actual cause of problems.

Specs (Relevant):

Mainboard: Asrock Extreme 4 B550

IPad: IPad Pro 21 12,9“

Excuse my englisch please im not an native-speaker 🙂

Okay so Hear me out,

im shutting off my PC as usual and flicking my little Off Switch on the back of the PSU. Then i Notice some weird blinking in some Part of my Mainboard. To my suprise the RGB-LEDs and The debug code display lit up. I was thinking im going insane. Now the thing i noticed was that my Ipad Pro 21 was still connected via USB-C to the USB-C port of the Mainboard because i use it as a Portable second Monitor that needs the wired connection. I unplugged the IPad because i thought it might deliver the Power from the IPad via USB. And to my suprise i was right the IPad powered The mainboard. So my Question now. Is this Harmful? is the current and voltage being controlled? Is this generally Safe? Like that made me wonder why that would happen…

I would love to read and reply to your answers soon. 

Greetings From,

Germany

This is usually safe, I've had my PC get power through the HDMI and USB ports before. Caused a headache when doing some troubleshooting, but never the actual cause of problems.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming