Cooler problem for i7 6700k

MidnightMyth
Go to solution Solved by MidnightMyth,
16 minutes ago, Jzan said:

I always recommend a Noctua cooler. Check out the link below and scroll all the way to the bottom to see 4 options that should all be great but find the one to at first your needs best. If you aren’t interested in a Noctua cooler let me know and I can try and find some other options. 

https://noctua.at/en/buying-guide-cpu-coolers

Ive looked into those also but I saw mixed opinions some say it won't be enough for this and some say it will... Usually my pc runs more then 10h with sessions up to 8h sometimes will it hold?

Hi guys I ran into a problem with my cooler today (Corsair H45 Hydro CPU Cooler AiO) and desperately need a replacement quickly basically it leaked and I'm looking for a good air cooler because this one was already replaced once already same reason (same one installed again) and I think I'm done with water-cooling for a bit.. I'm using a intel i7 6700k cooler not overclocked just the stock.. I'm doing long gaming sessions and I want something that would withstand that..  and here's my motherboard just to see if it would fit on it GIGABYTE Z170-Gaming K3 ATX Motherboard ps. I know it's a old rig but still works.. 

I always recommend a Noctua cooler. Check out the link below and scroll all the way to the bottom to see 4 options that should all be great but find the one to at first your needs best. If you aren’t interested in a Noctua cooler let me know and I can try and find some other options. 

Depends on how much you wanna spend. The 6700k is, by modern standards, not that hard of a chip to cool. If you're not planning on overclocking, the Vetroo V5 is a nice cooler for very cheap (~$25). If you want a better cooler so you can overclock the crap out of that CPU (as you should with a 6700k), the Scythe Fuma 2 is ~$60 and is basically the best performing cooler in the price range, able to keep up with a 12700k without much issue. Both of them will outperform your current AIO though.

I recommend the Scythe Fuma 2. It's not the cheapest air cooler available, but I've been seriously impressed with how well it handles the i7-2600 in my office PC under a full load while sitting right above multiple very hot GPUs. It'll give you a fair bit of headroom to work with, and that would let you OC your CPU a good amount. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

16 minutes ago, Jzan said:

Ive looked into those also but I saw mixed opinions some say it won't be enough for this and some say it will... Usually my pc runs more then 10h with sessions up to 8h sometimes will it hold?

42$ dual tower should be adequate for the 6700k even oced and wont ruin cpu socket clearence

52$ brick to cool that 6700k which is prob gonna ruin your cpu socket clearence but rams should still fit

80$ chonky brick which is prob gonna ruin your clearence even more as if the 52$ brick didnt ruin it enough already

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Depends on how much you wanna spend. The 6700k is, by modern standards, not that hard of a chip to cool. If you're not planning on overclocking, the Vetroo V5 is a nice cooler for very cheap (~$25). If you want a better cooler so you can overclock the crap out of that CPU (as you should with a 6700k), the Scythe Fuma 2 is ~$60 and is basically the best performing cooler in the price range, able to keep up with a 12700k without much issue. Both of them will outperform your current AIO though.

I mean I sure hope it will because with that aio I was scared to oc because of the leak problems previously and frying CPU.. but I could check those out thank you 

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

42$ dual tower should be adequate for the 6700k even oced and wont ruin cpu socket clearence

52$ brick to cool that 6700k which is prob gonna ruin your cpu socket clearence but rams should still fit

80$ chonky brick which is prob gonna ruin your clearence even more as if the 52$ brick didnt ruin it enough already

ok I'll check them out thanks!

3 minutes ago, MidnightMyth said:

To the best of my knowledge I think it should be just fine. Like others have said a 6700k should not be too hard to cool. 

1 minute ago, Jzan said:

To the best of my knowledge I think it should be just fine. Like others have said a 6700k should not be too hard to cool. 

Also from the ones you mentioned or the scythe fuma 2 would any of them be decently easy to assemble? since I'm a beginner in assembling pcs ..

Just now, MidnightMyth said:

Also from the ones you mentioned or the scythe fuma 2 would any of them be decently easy to assemble? since I'm a beginner in assembling pcs ..

The Fuma 2 isn't hard. They have a video online if you need to follow along in addition to the instructions. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, MidnightMyth said:

Both should be decently easy to assemble since they are just air coolers so just applying thermal paste, putting on some fans, and attaching it to the CPU. And of course if you do run into any trouble you can always ask for help here. 

1 minute ago, BondiBlue said:

The Fuma 2 isn't hard. They have a video online if you need to follow along in addition to the instructions. 

Oh ok thank you 😃 you guys are really helpful and quick with responses have a great day all of you and thanks again for helping a newbie like me😀