PC Has Random Shutdowns when Gaming... but only somtimes

DarkeVortex
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
10 minutes ago, DarkeVortex said:

Appreciate the help! I'll do so anyway, just to be safe. I'll also hit it with a BIOS update just for fun, but it sounds like new PSU is in the cards >_<

No problem. Yeah the Seasonic FOCUS Prime PSUs have issues with high transient loads and may trip protections. 

Hey all. Title explains the issue. Here are my relevant specs though:

CPU: Ryzen9 5950X

MotherBoard: ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (EK Monoblock)

GPU: Strix 3090 OC (EK water block + active backplate)
RAM: 64GB (4x16) Trident Z Neo @ 3600MHz

PSU: Seasonic 1000W Prime Titanium

I've recently started encountering random shutdowns when gaming - It can be after 2h or 20 minutes, seemingly at random. Sometimes during a graphics-heavy game doing nothing (GTA V black loading screen) and other times at a graphics-intense scene.

I kept an eye on my temps during the latest shutdown event. The GPU was settled around 50C, and the CPU was in the mid to high 60s, peaking once at 71C (Tctl/Tdie in HWInfo64). Loop temperature was ~37C and the flow rate is maxed at 230L/h, I have 2 normal 360 rads from EK and 1 slim 360 rad from EK. 9 fans, 6 intake and 3 exhaust. My temps have never been ideal (due to current space constraints the PC lives under my desk, hardwood floor but definitely still feel the hot air being trapped down there). Regardless, these have been my temps for a while now, and the shutdowns just started.

Someone suggested I try rolling back my graphics drivers, updating BIOS, and running the ram at 2133. None of these really helped my problem - they may have decreased the frequency of shutdowns, but it's already so sporadic it's hard to tell. All i know is that GTA V is definitely unplayable right now, as I can't get more than an hour of playtime before shutting down.

I have been using this hardware for a while, and nothing was going wrong until recently. Someone mentioned that it might be my PSU, and that the Seasonic Primes are known to have had issues. Is this true? If so, what should I replace it with - I've been out of the PSU game for a while. Is 1000W sufficient, or if I need a replacement, should I up it?

20 minutes ago, DarkeVortex said:

and running the ram at 2133

Have you tested with 2 dimms (in slot A2 and B2) instead of 4?

21 minutes ago, DarkeVortex said:

and that the Seasonic Primes are known to have had issues. Is this true?

Yes, Prime <= 1000w has issues with nVidia Ampere.

23 minutes ago, DarkeVortex said:

Is 1000W sufficient, or if I need a replacement, should I up it?

Even 850w with a non Prime Platform is enough. Corsair RMx/HX, Fractal Design ION+ (2), Super Flower Leadex III Gold, Thermaltake GF1, XPG Core Reactor for example.

Have you downloaded and updated the latest audio drivers?? My X570 Dark Hero crashes the entire system and reboots by itself. Be sure to uninstall the previous audio drivers and install "clean" (at least uninstall and then install new audio drivers). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

32 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Have you tested with 2 dimms (in slot A2 and B2) instead of 4?

I have, but not at 2133. Still has sporadic issues.

Yes, Prime <= 1000w has issues with nVidia Ampere.

Good to know. This is the same PSU I had before upgrading to a 3090 and it was fine, but that makes sense. Is it all Seasonic, including the Prime Ultra (or whatever it's called?) If so, will just avoid them altogether haha.

Even 850w with a non Prime Platform is enough. Corsair RMx/HX, Fractal Design ION+ (2), Super Flower Leadex III Gold, Thermaltake GF1, XPG Core Reactor for example.

Gotcha. I'll probably stick with 1000W just to have overhead for the watercooling + RGB stuff, but from a better manufacturer then. Likely Corsair. I thought LTT was generally a fan of / recommended Seasonic's PSUs, am I just that out of the loop?

18 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Have you downloaded and updated the latest audio drivers?? My X570 Dark Hero crashes the entire system and reboots by itself. Be sure to uninstall the previous audio drivers and install "clean" (at least uninstall and then install new audio drivers). 

Oooh ok gotcha. I'll give that a go. I don't use any onboard sound (I use a GoXLR) so would this still be a potential issue? Also, I know this is a really dumb question, but how would I uninstall the existing audio drivers haha?

6 minutes ago, DarkeVortex said:

Oooh ok gotcha. I'll give that a go. I don't use any onboard sound (I use a GoXLR) so would this still be a potential issue? Also, I know this is a really dumb question, but how would I uninstall the existing audio drivers haha?

Ah ok, I don't think that would be an issue, but I just wanted to give you a possible solution to the problem I was having. 

You would have to either go into Device Manager to your Audio Inputs and Outputs and right click on Uninstall Drivers or you can uninstall the application in Control panel/settings. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

18 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ah ok, I don't think that would be an issue, but I just wanted to give you a possible solution to the problem I was having. 

You would have to either go into Device Manager to your Audio Inputs and Outputs and right click on Uninstall Drivers or you can uninstall the application in Control panel/settings. 

Appreciate the help! I'll do so anyway, just to be safe. I'll also hit it with a BIOS update just for fun, but it sounds like new PSU is in the cards >_<

10 minutes ago, DarkeVortex said:

No problem. Yeah the Seasonic FOCUS Prime PSUs have issues with high transient loads and may trip protections. 

14 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

How do I ensure that the next one I buy from another brand won't have the same issue?

4 minutes ago, DarkeVortex said:

How do I ensure that the next one I buy from another brand won't have the same issue?

You can check out the PSU Tier List and look at units from Tier A or B. Read the footnotes if there are any [#] associated with a particular model. The Corsair RM or RMx units are pretty good.